www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Stop user from using Paste??

Stop user from using Paste??

I have a text box that I am currently blocking punctuation on via block key press. This does not stop the user from "pasting" text containing invalid characters.

How do I go about blocking the use of "paste"?

Is there a better solution

Thanks

ClarkW

Why not just remove all punctuation characters automatically onKeyPress?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Jona,

I do block all punctuation onKeyPress, but if you paste the information in, it does not read it as a KeyPress. Then when you do the submit it enters the pasted information as text - complete with the punctuation.

I don't think that's what Jona was saying, hows about, onKeyPress, you take away all the punctuation from the field.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

If it's that much of a problem, you run a setInterval to strip out punctuation marks every few seconds. Your problem will occur when you find that anyone can disable JavaScript and easily bypass your script, so you will need a server-side solution for this as well.

Use an onblur() handler to validate the field value.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

OK, you are correct - onKeyPress for my SUBMIT, remove the punctuation. Thanks.

ClarkW

Quote Originally Posted by clarkw
    OK, you are correct - onKeyPress for my SUBMIT, remove the punctuation. Thanks.

ClarkW
    It would probably be compatible with more browsers if you used onsubmit in the actual form tag itself, rather than "onKeyPress" on your submit button.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona
    It would probably be compatible with more browsers if you used onsubmit in the actual form tag itself, rather than "onKeyPress" on your submit button.
    It would also work in more instances (e.g., if the user submits the form by actually clicking the submit button instead of pressing Enter).

Quote Originally Posted by fredmv
    It would also work in more instances (e.g., if the user submits the form by actually clicking the submit button instead of pressing Enter).
    However, if the tex field is checked onkeyup, the field will be validated before the user presses enter, or clicks the submit button:
    HTML Code:
    <input type="text" ... onkeyup="this.value=this.value.replace(/?!/g,'')">
    Of course, you'd add in all the punctuation, escaping \ some where necessary.

Following on with this "my event's bigger than your event" thread, onblur() gets the job done without having to deal with every keystroke yet with a little more interaction than waiting to validate onsubmit().
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Quote Originally Posted by ray326
    Following on with this "my event's bigger than your event" thread, onblur() gets the job done without having to deal with every keystroke yet with a little more interaction than waiting to validate onsubmit().
    I would take the assumption that the punctuation would want to be removed in real time. Otherwise, onblur, as you say, is the best option.

Thread Information