dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What keyboard do you have

What keyboard do you have

After typing for years I still average no more than 45 wpm, so I feeel I need a change here.

I was thinking of buying one of those (completely) split keyboards. I am also thinking of buying it (or setting it up afterwards) with the DVORAK key layout instead of QWERTY. It's quite obvious that many words tend to concentrate on the left of the keyboard so I don't need any more proof that QWERTY is ineficient.

Anyone using any of these?
    Last edited by amazing_andr3; 03-30-2005 at 05:36 AM.

MS Natural PS/2. All I ever use.

What about DVORAK? It's included in your Windows distribution. Anyone tried to switch to it to make a comparison?

This is what MIcrosoft says about it at http://www.microsoft.com/enable/prod...tkeyboard.aspx:

"Dvorak keyboard layouts reduce the amount of motion required to type common English text. Use of these layouts may also help avoid some types of repetitive strain injuries associated with typing. Studies have also shown an increase in typing speed and accuracy when using the Dvorak layout for two hands."

<funny>
    check this out LOL http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/08/keyboard.html
    </funny>
    Last edited by amazing_andr3; 03-30-2005 at 04:58 AM.

Nice BBspot article. :-)

I've been using a standard QWERTY layout for so long that changing would probably slow me down dramatically with little gain. The particular problem I have is that I use numerous computers at multiple sites, so even if I changed my home computer to another layout I would still be using QWERTY elsewhere.

Adam

Yes, this is indeed an issue.

However, you can switch easily between keyboard layouts with windows. So if you share a computer, you can use Dvorak and the other person can use his preferred layout.

I believe you can still maintain some speed with QWERTY anyway. It's really like speaking two languages, only a lot easier. I myself used to switch between the english and romanian layouts quite frequently (although it's not such a drastic change from qwerty as dvorak).

Also I realised there's no need to buy a dvorak keybord (as I said initially), you can pop the keys out and rearrange them in minutes.

I use a cheap ps/2 one. so cheap it's not even branded...

I've been typing for about five years, and last I checked (somewhere around a year ago, I think) I had an average of 90wpms. I use a Qwerty keyboard and can't imagine using a Dvorak keyboard. The Qwerty keyboard is, in my opinion, more efficient because of the placement of the keys. If you actually learn how to type, you'll find that after a few months it becomes second-nature, and your typing speed will increase. I suggest you take the time (yes, by that I do mean "hours") to learn to type properly on a Qwerty keyboard. Usually some simple software such as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing or something similar is sufficient. Really, all you need to learn is finger placement on the keyboard and where to move which fingers to hit specific keys. Once you have that down, it just takes a bit of practice to gain speed.

My older brother and my father never learned to type properly. They use the first two fingers of each hand mostly, and their speed is probably as fast as yours. Had either of them learned to type, there would be a substantial difference in the amount of time it takes them to get something done on the computer.

In any case, my keyboard is attached to my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona
    I use a Qwerty keyboard and can't imagine using a Dvorak keyboard. The Qwerty keyboard is, in my opinion, more efficient because of the placement of the keys.
    Since I'll have to relearn to type (properly) anyway, the slightest advantage would convice me to use Dvorak. The jury is still out, but from what I've read so far, Dvorak is better.

With all our computer technology that can determine efficiency, should we still use a layout designed for a typewriter in the 19th century?

See how many words contain ED or DE on this page. Aren't you supposed to type those with the same finger?
    Last edited by amazing_andr3; 03-30-2005 at 02:37 PM.

Ok, I've decided to change to Dvorak. it really does make sense you kow the most frequent letters are on the home row so your fingers dont travel so much.

it took 5 min or so to change the hardware and software, but it takes me forever to write this... LOL

I tried the Microsoft natural keyboard and it seems to have the right angles and shapes, so I like it but I wanna try other types before I buy it.

Yes, "ED" and "DE" are typed with the same finger (the middle finger of the left hand). I think the qwerty keyboard is most efficient, and changing the common settings for keyboards would surely frustrate a great deal of users who already have learned to type properly with the qwerty keyboard. In any case, the choice is yours, but I don't think they'll be changing qwerty out for something else any time soon. At least, I hope not. I would either die or kill the involved party(ies).

I actually changed my keyboard layout earlier today. Dvorak makes more sense, but I hate relearning to type. I used to touch-type, so its extra irritating. I'm diving right into it, and the more I type, the easier it gets, I guess.

Why the hell did I do this?!!

Lo!

Take some text and paste it here

http://www.siteuri.ro/dvorak/qwerty-dvorak.php

it will compute how many pairs of consecutive letters have to be typed with the same finger

it's not very verbose or pretty coz i'm down to 5 words per min

Results for this post:

qwerty: 7
    devorak: 2

I have created a more decent tool at the same address.

I really like this new layout. It's 48h since I made the switch and I have already learned the position of the keys, although typing is frustratingly slow.

I'll let you know when I reach my previous speed.

I say we need to start a revolution here. Who's with me?

This is my keyboard and it rocks the world with it's awesomeness. It's hard to explain but that keyboard is really easy to use, a lot easier than my previous keyboard (which I also liked).

I never learned to type "properly". Our family got a PC in 1997 when I was 11 and I just started typing and picked it up my own way. Never really needed to type fast until around 2001 when we FINALLY got the internet (and by then we had a much better PC). Now I can type pretty damn fast when I want to, which isn't often. Most of the time (like now) I reckon I average around 45wpm, I've never actually tested myself to see how fast I can go though.

I use a standard keyboard. I have an hp one with all the fancy little hotkeys on it, but that is lame and can interfear with gaming. My keyboard is generic(tm) and is white. Of course this no frills keyboard is QWERTY... I have always used QWERTY. I am set in my ways and I don't think change would be fun.

Thread Information