www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My first site

My first site

Your welcome to take a look at my site, at www.karsites.net

It's just basic HTML 4.01 really. Plus php4 and MySQL.

I'm running SuSE Linux 9.2 pro on a web server I designed and built myself. I'm currently trying to get my head round JavaScript, XHTML, CSS, HTML-DOM. Also I'm interested in web-application security, and web-server security issues.

There are some handy references on my site for downloading, if you are interested.

Regards - KR.

it took me approx 10 seconds for my eyes to start hurting and my head thumping.

you must change the colors they are just horrible.

sorry if that seems harsh but they are bad.

andy
    I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

shepherd web design

Um owww? Yeah, those colors are WAY to annoying. I have some links for colors in my sig you can check out. The color mixers one is probably my most abused color finder. My "Color Scheme 101" is to take a photo that you really like, and pull colors from the photo and use those on your site. If you can make the photo a logo for your site, all the better.

Hi -
    Whoa. Gotta agree with the colors being painful...

I also think you need to organize this page, mightily. Divide it into sections for car stuff and computer stuff so people can find what they may be looking for.
    Incorporating an image, graphic, or some background colors would help it to look less like a simple list, as well.

Have fun with it,
    El

Your page looks like a very early internet page (except for the rollovers and other anachronisms from the early net). My biggest question is, on subsequent pages, why do you use buttons rather than links for navigation? HTML buttons are pretty bland (though they can be made a little more exciting with Javascript); you can make links more interesting with CSS (like you did on the homepage). Plus, I don't see an obvious way to return to your main site once you navigate out of it (besides the back button).

I agree with the above comments: your site needs a lot of work designwise. It does look like you have a lot of good content, though.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

just a small point:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...r%2Fmuxreg.hml

I'm sure your not suposed to use that referrer link unless it's passed.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

Thankyou for all the helpfull comments, and those excellent links from spufi. The color blender looks really cool.I especially like the tip on using a jpg or similar picture to pull colors from to use in my site - excellent idea!

Concerning the HTML validation - I seem to remember that all the pages were validated correctly - the validator seems to have problems with php code in certain places. I had to re-write some pages to get them through the validator.

This homepage is just supposed to be a link to other sections of the site - ideally a portal to several sites all on the same machine. I've tidied up the atrocious colors, so you won't need your sunglasses now - I think I got a bit carried away with the powers of CSS!

This page will evolve as more content is made available on the server.

At the moment, I'm getting my head around the finer points of CSS, then on to the finer points of OOP and design patterns in PHP4.

Regards - Keith Roberts
    Last edited by Keith Roberts; 04-05-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Roberts
    Concerning the HTML validation - I seem to remember that all the pages were validated correctly - the validator seems to have problems with php code in certain places. I had to re-write some pages to get them through the validator.
    If you use PHP, run the pages through the validator from where they are hosted at so the PHP is already processed. If you try to validate page.php that's sitting on your computer, then it will most likely choke on the PHP.

Updated the site with a CSS layout now. Any comments would be appreciated. Now running Fedora 8.

This website is a bit in your face.there is an awful lot going on.
    There are to many colours and the grey lines are very thick.

whoa, if you need some assistance, I know it feels good to design your own site, but this is a very loud site. Very painful and the gfx on the left hand side is kind of big and out of place.

the css doesn't validate, click the validator link and see:

Sorry! We found the following errors

URI : http://www.karsites.net/../../shared-host/incs/host.css

File not foundhttp://www.karsites.net/../../shared-host/incs/host.css: Bad Request

Thread Information