dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Get A Free Domain Name???

Question Where Can I Get A Free Domain Name???

I've looked all over and I can't find a place that is 100% free where I can get a .com! Does anyone no a place where I can get a .com 100% free with nothing added to it?
    Share on Google+

There will always be a fee involved in getting a domain, because ICANN requires a fee (some-odd cents, USD). You'll have to go and buy the domain through a registrar, however, to get a .com domain name. No web site will freely distribute them, as that would cost literally thousands of dollars every week just to keep the site's services available. You can get a free .tk domain name from www.dot.tk, but I don't know of any other service that provides a .com domain name for free.
    Share on Google+

I say u can purchase an domain from yahoo or ev1servers, which costs u less.
    Share on Google+

I get all of mine through aitdomains.com for 7.99 ea
    Share on Google+

From time to time there are (absolutely) free domains that are given away in namepros.com first come first serve basis.
    http://www.namepros.com/free-resourc...ain-names.html
    Share on Google+

Is there a way to actually make a domain name (maybe by keeping your computer on all the time or something)? Do ISPs every include a domain name in a plan? I WILL NOT GIVE UP! I like bravehost, but having ur site be www.sitename.BRAVEHOST.com kinda is a drag.
    Share on Google+

there is no way to do that, and no, ISPs don't offer a domain name. They often give serverspace but you don't get your own domain with it.
    Share on Google+

Domain names and web space are two different things.

If you have a fast enough internet connection and keep your computer on all the time (a backup generator is required for when the power goes off in your area) then you can host your site on your own computer provided that you have a static IP address.

For people to be able to find your site you will still need to purchase a domain name that points to your site.

Bravenet allow you to use your own domain name with their hosting (they don't sell domain names themselves but have an arrangement with a domain registrar to onsell theirs). With free hosting you need to configure the domain name you purchase to redirect to your site. With pro hosting they throw in a .com domain name for 12 months at no extra charge.
    Share on Google+

Microsoft are giving away free .coms to americans. Too bad I live in Wales.
    Share on Google+

I host my site with http://www.evohosting.co.uk/

They're really good, you get about 200mb of space...unlimited email accounts and unlimited mysql databases and a FREE .com domain for just 30 a year...which is about 35/40 euro/dollars.
    Share on Google+

How can i get 100% free domain name? how can i setup it?
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by mark200
    I host my site with http://www.evohosting.co.uk/

They're really good, you get about 200mb of space...unlimited email accounts and unlimited mysql databases and a FREE .com domain for just 30 a year...which is about 35/40 euro/dollars.
    I'll second that I am with them too and they are brill though it is only 25 now not 30 for the year.
    Share on Google+

You can not get a free domain name. A lot of hosting companies however offer free domain registration if you sign up for a year of hosting.
    Share on Google+

hey i don't think you can...... well im pretty sure you can.. unless you get like a website host like erm.. say my site is www.siadelafruitcake.com you choose www.name.siadelafruitcake.com .......... but im not hosting thats an example :P but to get one without that........ well there is co.nr or .tk names ..... or www.freewebs.com is a free web server but doesnt sound very proffessional.
    hope this helps. sia
    Share on Google+

That shadow behind you? It's not the cat. Mwahaha
    You could go with a subdomain.
    no-ip.com will let you do this. You can't get a .com unless you pay, but then, unless you're a company you really shouldn't have a .com anyway. But nobody pays attention to that anymore, so yea.

If you setup a web server like Apache on your home computer, as someone mentioned already, (this works well, and I'm running a server right now to know) then you can use no-ip.com's service with little work. They have a downloadable client that updates it for you when your IP changes.Plus, if you don't want to use their client to update it, all you have to do is log on and open the options for any of the subdomains you're using, and it will change their records to match whatever your current IP is.

If you have a server running, you'll probably end up with a constant IP address for a good long time.
    My IP is dynamic, but since I started my server it only changes once every 6 months. This is thanks to the way the ISP selects your IP address.

(Notice that
    .com = companies
    .org = organizations
    .edu = educational
    .gov = government
    seeing a pattern yet?)
    Last edited by AmazingAnt; 10-29-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information