dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How Much Should My Fee Be For This?

How Much Should My Fee Be For This?

I have a six page web site that I made for my band. Nothing too fancy,
    no Shockwave or anything. Allot of photos, audio and animated .gif's.
    I've been contacted by several businesses that would like me to do
    sites for them. What should I charge them? Should it just be a flat
    fee for making the site and they get their own hosting? Or should I
    charge them a fee for the site plus a monthly fee for hosting,
    changing content, etc? I can get it published very reliably with their
    domain name for about $13 a month. Thanks.

How much you should charge varies with each business. Things you should take into consideration:
    How many pages do they need?
    Do I need to create any logos, etc.?
    How long will it take to finish?
    Quality of work?
    Do they need a store/shopping cart? If so, how many products?

To add to JayM's list:

Do you want to make a profit from this?
    While this seems to be an obvious question, from experience, many people forget they're in a business.

What's your ideal profit margin?
    Another obvious question -- perhaps. It never ceases to amaze me how many people (this group of people included me when I first started out) think only to cover their costs and forget about the profit margin.

What's the lowest you can go without going to 'cover costs only'?
    A third dummy question that shouldn't need to be considered, but catches people out. From experience, observation & study, I suggest deciding on the lowest you're willing to go without hitting 'minimal charge' (aka, 'cover costs only').

What is your total estimated cost for the project?
    Include not only the major items (e.g., logo creation, number of pages, etc.), but also stuff like research investment, purchasing stock photos (or similar), hours invested (in finding the right stuff the client wants), travel, lunch meetings, ad-hoc change requests that weren't in the original agreement, etc.

And I'm now out of thoughts for questions like this. Lol!

Hope this helps some!

Take care,
    Snitch.

Hours hours hours... Make a real outline of all their pages, sit down by yourself and think how long will each take you. Sum it all up. Add 4 hours for misc- this is the actual setup of the account, helping them pick out a domain or transfer one, etc etc.
    Now multiply that time x 1.1, that adds ten percent because they may want changes etc, and you have to leave some room for their wants.

How much do you want to be paid per hour? Our clients pay what comes down to anything from $40 to $155 an hour depending on the work. An independent developer charges $60/hr, that's the novice one. I've seen it- and i've seen people pay.

Now, those hours, you don't need to tel lthe client. But- tel lthe client that you quote them this; and that if you see unexpected increase in cost- you will tell them before it goes ahead.

Be careful. Just setting up a number and going along with it - you're gonna get in a huge problem- it will tarnish your name, you won't get paid.. blah.. I've been there when I used to freelance.
    So be careful. And don't underestimate the service you are providing.

Lightbulb I wouldn't

I hate to disagree but this is a discussion you should have had with them before you did the work. That way there would be no hard feelings or misunderstandings. Since it is too late for that I would give them the site, discuss hosting and ask them to be a reference so you can use them to get other work. just a thought...

Whiskyd, the original question was how much should Tarkus charge for companies approaching him/her to design their company site.

The band website is already done and is a reference point for these potential clients.

Take care,
    Snitch.

Hello

how to new thread or my question like this one

Hi guys ,
    I have a strange problem, may be silly/easy for some guys. Here is it:

I have a parent IE window and I want to open new child window( eg: new window.open(xyz.html,"","")
    and when few changes are made and when i close the child window parent window should be refreshed and should get new values.

I am struggling to solve since 2 days. Please help me out by giving a simple example code.plz.

This is the Business Matters forum. Try asking in the JavaScript forum.

well an hourly rate for this kinda work could also be considered

Thread Information