dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Making My Own Forum

Making My Own Forum

Hi, I've been asked if I could design a simple forum for my school's webpage. I have never actually thought about the idea, and I was just wondering if anybody here could give me some advice on how to get started? I'm not really sure what to do.

download http://phpbb.com

Actually, I just found out that there is a free forum hosting website that will do everything I wanted and more. Thanks for the help, though!

phpBB2 is your best bet for learning (IMO), it does not need linux, it has the largest database of add-ons and because of its already long lifetime, it has a massive and helpful user-base in its support forums.

It has been losing popularity over the last couple of years but as soon as phpBB3 is finally released it looks like it will take its place as the number one again.
    Another reason to use phpBB2 is it will allow you to get to know the community while the wait for phpBB3.
    If you haven't got much time, and want to see what the new phpbb3 can offer, just try it out on this host : create forum

Hope this can help!

Moved to correct forum.

Out of all the forums out there, my top 3 would have to be...

1. phpBB
    2. VB
    3. IPB

phpBB is however the best one I think is out there since it's free!
    In that case the best free forum software would be PhpBB3 located at: free forum

in my opinion and experience, vBulletin is far and away the most sophisticated and powerful forum software out there, however it's not free. But I've administrated PHP BB also, and the difference between it and vBulletin is like the difference between arithmetic and differential Calc. It's remarkably primitive by comparison to vBulletin.

Thread Information