dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Computer automatically shutting off

Computer automatically shutting off

So everytime I want to use my computer I have to turn it on twice!!!

The FIRST time I turn it off it loads up normally and then *poof* the screen is black and the computer has shut down automatically.

Then I have to turn it on again and it goes to this blue screen saying "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency"

then it chugs away doing something or other.. I get messages like "First allocation is not valid. The Entry will be truncated" while it shows numerous files being truncated.

After this procedure I login as per usual and everything is fine and my computer runs normally until I have to turn it off and start it up the next day!

I have NO idea what's going on here and how to fix it! Any ideas?

John

I am not 100% sure here but it could be a problem with your harddrive.

Is there a program that you could run to check it such as scandisc?

A drastic measure would be to reformat to see if it cured the problem.

what is your os?

My computer keeps shutting off

I hope not to have to reformat... I'm running Windows XP Pro

it sounds like you very well could need to reformat. This sounds a lot like some corruption. Do you have a second hard drive?

If you get a second hard drive that you can boot from, or transfer the hard drive into another pc as a slave, you can rescue your data off it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSW
    If you get a second hard drive that you can boot from, or transfer the hard drive into another pc as a slave, you can rescue your data off it.
    You have an iPod (or similar large mp3 device)? you can use that to save all your data onto. Or a DVD burner or if your patient, a cd burner or a large flash memory stick. Any sort of external data storage system would work as you can actually log into windows to transfer important files to another system. The plus with a large mp3/mass storage device is that it's possible to just store all your data on the one device.

You could even transfer the data over a fast ethernet network to another computer with a large vacancy on it's harddrive, reformat windows, and then transfer it back.

What do you have in terms of networking, writable drives, and external devices?

-Gorky

Thread Information