www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Urgent "unauthorized access!!!!"

Exclamation Urgent "unauthorized access!!!!"

hi all
    frankly speaking i'm not sure where should i post this thread, but i need help
    well, i have shared a wireless internet throught ISP company plus i have a small home LAN,
    so wut i have discovered when i opened my network places some other sharers partotions, and i can access there pc's easily.
    So the point is ???
    can any other sharers in the network access my pc,my home network and my shared documents???
    how can i prevent that ?? plus why i found other's shared document's in my local network???

plz i need help urgently>>!!!

regards
    A.N.K.
    Last edited by ank; 04-12-2005 at 03:48 PM.
    i wish, there's UNDO in life!!!!!

Is the wireless internet done through a router or wireless modem? If so what brand and model?
    "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything..." My current Project http://www.firstbaptistbrighton.com/

You're gonna have to encrypt your router and kick those buggers out of there. You'll want to enter your default gateway ip address into your browser (probably use internet explorer, my browser has a problem with firefox). Then in there, there is an option for encrytion. Usually there is an encryption maker, let it make one, and BE SURE TO COPY IT DOWN! Then enter that wireless encryption code to anyone attatching wirelessly to your comp.
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    moved to "computer issues."
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

HI again...
    still have other sharers shared files in my local network places...
    wut i kow is that i have a network card "D-LINK"...
    i have denied the sharing in my lan's computers in order to prevent any access to them...
    about the gateway id and that stuff "theuedimaster" talked about i'm not getting the point's since i don't have that much interest in networking and the stuff....so will any1 ********....
    plus i have xp in my computers and wanna know how to put passwords to access the shared files...
    thx in advance

regards
    A.N.K.

Wireless networks are inherently insecure unless you use some sort of encryption. I used to work for Bellsouth FastAcess DSL tech support and would see this fairly often. Any ISP that provides you with a wireless support should be able to show you how to secure that network to some degree using the WEP Key (Wireless Encryption Key basically). It's like a password for your wireless network. You won't need to password protect your files if you use the encryption key.

If you don't do this, anyone with a wireless network card within range can connect to your network with no problem. You will never know unless you're monitoring your network. There's even "range extenders" on the market that will extend the range of your wireless device to pick up wireless networks. Be careful with wireless. I'd recommend contacting your ISP for instructions on how to make your network secure if they're the ones providing the wireless access. If you bought your wireless router yourself, then contact your router manufacturer or visit their website. Keep in mind it's the wireless router/modem that you're looking at, not the wireless network card in your computer.

Hope this clairfies a little bit for you ank!

thx Kin
    but for this moment wut can i do ???
    as i said i have denied any kind of sharing in all my home network's and my pc's folders.. and still i can see other ppl's shared folders in my local network places!!!!

NOtE: i have an active Microsoft Antispyware.
    thx again
    A.N.K.
    Last edited by ank; 04-18-2005 at 12:29 PM.

It's a good idea that you've turned file sharing off until you get this resolved. As I've said, your BEST course of action would be to contact the vendor- those who are most familiar with your product. If you answer some questions, I might be able to help you find the best place to go... Did your ISP give you your wireless modem/router or did you buy it at the store? What kind of modem/router are you using? Who is your ISP?

so i don't have to use a password??
    i'll talk to the person in charge tomorrow and get the information i need from them...
    i get the full stuff from the ISP (namded DeltaNet)... and as i mentioned b4 the wireless network card is from "D-Link"...
    thx kin and will tell u wut i'll get tomorrow....

Also, take a look at this thread. Wireless security is addressed and it's pretty interesting. There's some good resources offered, so I'd recommend taking a look at them.

If you really want your wireless network secure, you're going to have to know what you're doing. There are far too many people who use it as an easy alternative and leave themselves wide open and enver know it. At least you've been smart enough to be watching.

It looks like you'll want to take some extra steps beyond just setting up the WEP key.

Security is always a trade-off with convenience. If you want to make it secure, take the time to learn and do it.

thx again for ur help and i'll do my best...
    i really feel interested to follow this field..

Thread Information