dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: stollen domain name

Angry stollen domain name

Hi there, today I'm very SAD.

Macromedia is going to be bought by Adobe, and my domain has been almost copied.

I have bought this domain name www.meutelemovel.com in october 24 2002, and another came and bought this one www.Omeutelemovel.com in jannuary 15, 2005

this domain names are in portuguese they mean mycellphone.com

the guy who copied the ideia of the name just added an "O" that means "the" in english, a better example for you to understand.

it is like i had bought cellphone.com and another guy buys acellphone.com

this is boring, he is taking advantage of the pub, promotion and well-know meutelemovel.com domain already has.

What do you thing about this?

I think it's a dirty tactic, but they've not done anything illegal. What you could do is ask to buy the domain off him, but the chances are he's not gonna sell it cheap.

if the domain was the same name of a company here in Portugal, he would framed, he would had no legal changes, he would to giveup the domain name.

I talked to a lawyer and he said to e-mail him saying that, that I want to register this company in the propper entity and that entity does not allow similliar names because they may generatte confusion.

In the US there is a men's magazine name MAXIM, here in Portugal there is a women's magazine called MAXIMA and a Portuguese version of MAXIM.

That portuguese magazine forced MAXIM Portugal to change its name, because it was too similliar, they changed to Super-MAXIM, even so they had to change again, because it was still similliar.

The new name is MAXMEN.
    Last edited by gimbras; 04-18-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Honestly I feel you are upset over nothing.

If I went out and registered www.THEwebdeveloper.com, thats my idea... its my name, it doesnt mean it is related to in any way webdeveloper.com or any other possible combination.

a domain is not a company name, although binding to SOME companies like Microsoft, Apple, McDonalds etc. where there names are internationally known - your "mycellphone.com" name isnt known.

Press on, at least the person who bought the domain with an "O" in front of it, is actually using the site for cell phones.

I think you're right let's forget about this and carry on.

but it is always boring, my domain has a signed contract with a company who sells logos, ring-tones for cellphones via SMS, and maybe someday i'll open a store with this name.

but carry on and forget about that
    tkx

but what happens if he's planning to use this for shameless advertising in order to gain some cash, and people acidentaly mistake it for your freinds site? you wouldn't be happy if one day you typed in owebdeveloper.com/forum one day and wound up facing 900 adverts layed out in a TABLE.

Its the way the cookie crumbles. You cant do anything about it!

Its the way the cookie crumbles. You cant do anything about it!
    that's where your wrong, using my world famous skill's at complaining I shal drive them steadily insane untill the cookie goes back together.

People who succeed at complaining, have failed at learning how to negotiate.

Well that is precisely the point. He could take advantage of the name to place ads, and then create a wrong reputation to my site.

It seems a great coincidence that this guy that is portuguese, like me, and has the same first name like me, Luis, lol, buys this domain name after almost 3 years after I bought mine.

His site is about cellphones like mine but he might get some advantage, because when I tell people what my url is, they always confuse it with "o meu telemovel???", people always thinks it really has an "O" in front of it.

I believe he was a visitor to my site and maybe someday he told someone about my site, and they understood "Omeutelemovel.com???", and he tought he could take advantage of that.

In Portugal, one can not register a company's name that sounds like an already existing one, in the web this is different, but it is always boring to me.
    But I believe that in the web things should remain the same, because if they didn't some day no one had domain names to register.

This was just bad luck. I'm just complaining because of the bad fortune, that's all.
    I accidentally found his domain name registered when I was checking my whois.

I'll try to beating him fairly with greater quality, more content and so many visitors that one day he decides to quit.
    Thanks people!

Thread Information