www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Netscape or Internet Explorer?

Netscape or Internet Explorer?

Which browser is better and more stable, is it Netscape or Internet Explorer?

taint3dlov3
    http://www.m6.net

500MB, 3GB, Unlimited e-mail accounts, ASP.net, ASP, Unlimited Access DBs - $8 p/mth

you might a well start a politcal forum with that question.

the way i look at it is this - IE has 90% of the market. so whatever you create must work well in IE. and that means more people have tested what they create in IE. so IE will give you the best compatibility with what is out there (will likely look most like what the designer intended).

as for me - i have both IE6 and NS7 loaded. but i generally surf with IE for the reason above. marketshare. so it is not a question of better. but thank goodness there is at least a little competition.

from a technical perspective - i think IE loads and runs faster - i think NS adheres to standards better. they both have bugs but they both are stable.

Thanks for the information Beach Bum, but Internet Explorer does not support Java. Don't you think that is something it is lacking big time?

taint3dlov3
    http://www.m6.net

500MB, 3GB, Unlimited e-mail accounts, ASP.net, ASP, Unlimited Access DBs - $8 p/mth

true that IE 3 & 4 do not have full java support. but there can't be too many of those still out there. i would not recommend you go there anyway. IE 5 & 6 support java.

Re: Netscape or Internet Explorer?

Originally posted by taint3dlov3
    Which browser is better and more stable, is it Netscape or Internet Explorer?

taint3dlov3
    Since this is a webdeveloper forum I will interpret better = does what you tell it to do.

In that respect Netscape is both the best and also the worst currently.

NS 4 is the worst browser in general use today, becuse especially CSS it will be very difficoult to get your page to look as you want it too.

NS 6+ (or rather Gecko browser including eg Mozilla, K-Meleon, Phoenix, Skipstone, Chimera, Galleon etc) is on the other end.
    It's the by far best browser out there, and if your page doesn't look like you want it too, you have in 9 times out of 10 made a coding error.

Between these 2 extreemes we find other browsers like IE and Opera.

IE 6 is a resonably good browser (at least when compaired with previous IE versions and Opera 5 & 6) but it is still a long way behind the Gecko browsers.

Soon Opera will release v 7 of their browser and the betas show that this is also an excellent browser, almost as good as the Mozilla/Gecko browsers.

Where does this leave us?
    We will soon have two main alternative browsers to IE that is also extreemly easly to code webpages for (and make them look the same without a lot of special coding).
    However since IE is the dominating browser the pages will have to be made to look resonably good in it too.
    Luckily there are simple workarounds for various bugs in eg IE's CSS support.
    Thus coding cross browser and cross OS pages will just get easier
    // Stefan Huszics

Thread Information