www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Installing Programs

Installing Programs

2 questions

1. I recently had to re-format my whole computer and I subsequently lost a program that I had installed on there that I need, i lost the disc but I installed it onto a friends computer, he has a CD burner. Could I somehow copy the program files from his computer onto a disc?

2. i re-installed windows XP however when i re-installed it, there seems to be a few files missing as i cannot operate Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, its saying the IE5Setup.exe file is missing, how do i get around this, surely i dont have to re-install the whole program?

1. Depends on the program. Try copying all files and folders and running the program. Any errors you encounter (missing bla.dll) must be resolved by searching you friends computer for the file and copying it to your system folder. You maybe lucky.

2. Do an update of windows or ask the helpdesk of your computer supplier. If that doesn't help try copying the file from a friend and running it.

BACKUP and set a RESTORE POINT before doing any of above!
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

yeah i know that windows XP is missing a few .dll filles, could i just go back into the cd and copy the files onto the hard drive?

1 more thing, its saying that MSOE.dll file is missing, i found it on the CD, where abouts on the hard drive should i place it, i mean where abouts within windows on the hard drive?

My copy of that file is located in C:/program files/Outlook Express/

There is an option somewhere, I think under start -> run then type msconfig, to restore specific files from the cd.
    Last edited by DaveSW; 04-25-2005 at 05:46 AM.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

i went to start and then run and then typed in msconfig and it didnt work, i had the cd in, should i have typed in d:msconfig, so that it went from the CD?

Use thunderbird! http://www.mozilla.com
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

can you install it onto windows?

You appear to have re-installed windows incorrectly, some of your system files are missing.
    you should correct the errors before installing anymore programs.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q315341
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Thread Information