www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using javascript to create table rows containing form elements

Thanks for the reply, I did try that, but still no luck. Feel like ive been staring at the same code forever, this is the part of the form:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function madeSelection(f){
    var sel=f['deparment[]'], i=0, s;
    while(s=sel[i++]){
    if(s.value == 'Department'){
    alert('Please Choose Something');
    s.focus();
    return false;
    }
    }
    }
    </script>

</head> 
    <body>
    <form id="form-expense" action="?link=summary.php" method="post" onsubmit="return madeSelection(this)"> 
      <div id="myDiv">
      <div>
      <br>
      <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
          <tr align="center">
            <td>Department</td>
            <td>Account</td>
            <td>Description</td>
          </tr>
          <tr aligin="center">
          <td align="center">
          <input type="hidden" name="id[]" />
          <select name="department[]"> 
          <option selected value=Department>Department</option>
          <option value=Administration>Administration</option>
          <option value=Customer Service>Customer Service</option>
          <option value=Executive>Executive</option> 
          <option value=Finance>Finance</option>
          <option value=I.T.>I.T.</option>
          <option value=Marketing>Marketing</option>
          <option value=Materials Management>Materials Management</option>
          <option value=Product Development>Product Development</option>
          <option value=Selling>Selling</option>
          </select></td>
    Last edited by tdob; 01-22-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Typo
    Code:
    var sel=f['department[]'], i=0, s;
    Note: it is a good habit to quote the HTML attributes' values:
    Code:
    <option selected value="Department">Department</option>
    <option value="Administration">Administration</option>
    <option value="Customer Service">Customer Service</option>

Quote Originally Posted by Kor
    Typo
    Code:
    Note: it is a good habit to quote the HTML attributes' values:
    Code:
    <option selected value="Department">Department</option>
    <option value="Administration">Administration</option>
    <option value="Customer Service">Customer Service</option>
    Thank you so much, I feel stupid for not seeing a simple typo.. arggh..

Yes, I got burned with the quotations in HTML yesterday as the wrong values were getting passed, so I fixed that up.

I suppose to close this once and for all, to check other fields should I create a brand new function, or is there a way to include it in this one?

Unfortunately, now it seems to prompt whenever I click the submit button, whether or not it actually equals "Department"?? However, this only happens when there is one row, if a user inserts another row or two it acts as it should.

This is going to be the death of me!
    Last edited by tdob; 01-23-2008 at 09:57 AM.

You may use a single function... but, as, most of the time, a validation function is a "personalized" one, I need to know what kind of elements you need to validate and for what (empty values, lack of options' selection, numbers... and so on).

You may use a single function... but, as, most of the time, a validation function is a "personalized" one, I need to know what kind of elements you need to validate and for what (empty values, lack of options' selection, numbers... and so on).
    I need to validate and ensure a selection has been made from the selection boxes in department[] and account[]. The default selection is "Department" and "Account" respectively.

I also have a input box named amount[], I would like to ensure there is a numeric value in this input.

Im not sure if you saw the last message (sorry if you did) but it seems the validation doesnt work correctly if there is only 1 row. Upon clicking submit it always prompts to select a value even if you have, however if you insert other rows it works as desired?

i hate to bump my issue, but i was wondering if someone with a little more knowledge could help me out?

thanks to everyone.

Is it so hard to understand the pattern of the code and try to use/modify it?... Have you tried? Can we see your trial?

No offense, but... really, we can not fulfill your whole work, can we? Should we?
    Last edited by Kor; 01-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Yes, I have tried. I am really new to javascript but very good with PHP and MySQL, this is my first attempt to merge all 3 together. Sorry for the questions.

What I am saying right now, is the validation you helped me with doesnt work for the first set of inputs. However, if I choose to input another row of inputs, the validation works as desired. It seems as though the validation process is expecting a second row straight away.

The only other issue I had was having is adding more inputs to validate once it works. I dont need you to code it all out for me, I just need an example like you gave me that uses more than one. I have tried many different things that failed (last 2 days) but I didnt see the value in posting them.

Here is my relevant code after php has did its thing filling in values:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var clone;
    function cloneDiv(){
    var divs=document.getElementById('myDiv').getElementsByTagName('div');
    clone=divs[divs.length-1].cloneNode(true);
    }
    function addDiv(){
    var root=document.getElementById('myDiv');
    var divs=root.getElementsByTagName('div');
    root.appendChild(clone);
    clone=divs[divs.length-1].cloneNode(true);
    }
    onload=cloneDiv

function madeSelection(f){
    while(s=sel[i++]){
    if(s.value == 'Department'){
    alert('Please Choose Something');
    s.focus();
    return false; } } }
    </script>

</head> 
    <body>
    <form id="form-expense" action="?link=summary.php" method="post" onsubmit="return madeSelection(this)"> 
      <div id="myDiv">
      <div>
      <br>
      <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
          <tr align="center">
            <td>Department</td>
            <td>Account</td>
            <td>Description</td>
          </tr>
          <tr aligin="center">
          <td align="center">
          <input type="hidden" name="id[]" />
          <select name="department[]"> 
          <option selected value="Department">Department</option><option value="Administration">Administration</option><option value="Customer Service">Customer Service</option><option value="Executive">Executive</option><option value="Finance">Finance</option><option value="I.T.">I.T.</option><option value="Marketing">Marketing</option><option value="Materials Management">Materials Management</option><option value="Product Development">Product Development</option><option value="Selling">Selling</option>      </select></td>

<td align="center">
          <select name="account[]"> 
          <option selected value="Account">Account</option><option value="ADMIN CHARGES FOR LATE DELIVERIES & SHORTAGES">ADMIN CHARGES FOR LATE DELIVERIES & SHORTAGES</option><option value="AUDIT FEES">AUDIT FEES</option><option value="BAD DEBT EXPENSE">BAD DEBT EXPENSE</option><option value="BANK CHARGES">BANK CHARGES</option><option value="BANK PENALTY & INTEREST">BANK PENALTY & INTEREST</option><option value="CELLUAR PHONE">CELLUAR PHONE</option><option value="CONSULTANT SERVICES">CONSULTANT SERVICES</option><option value="CONVENTIONS/TRADE SHOWS">CONVENTIONS/TRADE SHOWS</option><option value="COPIER CHARGES">COPIER CHARGES</option><option value="COURIER">COURIER</option><option value="CREDIT BUREAU CHARGES">CREDIT BUREAU CHARGES</option><option value="DONATIONS">DONATIONS</option><option value="EDP COMMUNICATION">EDP COMMUNICATION</option><option value="EDUCATION">EDUCATION</option><option value="EMPLOYEE UNIFORMS">EMPLOYEE UNIFORMS</option><option value="FAX">FAX</option><option value="FAX CHARGES">FAX CHARGES</option><option value="FOREIGN X - REALIZED">FOREIGN X - REALIZED</option><option value="FORWARDING & DOC'N CHRG">FORWARDING & DOC'N CHRG</option><option value="HARDWARE EXPENSES">HARDWARE EXPENSES</option><option value="INTEREST INCOME">INTEREST INCOME</option><option value="LEGAL FEES">LEGAL FEES</option><option value="LUNCH ROOM">LUNCH ROOM</option><option value="MAIL ROOM">MAIL ROOM</option><option value="MEALS & ENTER. SALES">MEALS & ENTER. SALES</option><option value="MEALS & ENTERTAINMENT">MEALS & ENTERTAINMENT</option><option value="MEETINGS">MEETINGS</option><option value="MEMBERSHIPS & DUES">MEMBERSHIPS & DUES</option><option value="NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS - R&D">NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS - R&D</option><option value="OUTSIDE CONTRACTS">OUTSIDE CONTRACTS</option><option value="PENSION CONSULTING">PENSION CONSULTING</option><option value="PRODUCT TEST TRIALS - R&D">PRODUCT TEST TRIALS - R&D</option><option value="R&M BUILDING">R&M BUILDING</option><option value="R&M BUILDING (GENERAL)">R&M BUILDING (GENERAL)</option><option value="R&M EDP HARDWARE">R&M EDP HARDWARE</option><option value="R&M EDP SOFTWARE">R&M EDP SOFTWARE</option><option value="RECRUITING">RECRUITING</option><option value="RENT">RENT</option><option value="SANITATION/CLEANING">SANITATION/CLEANING</option><option value="SOFTWARE EXPENSE">SOFTWARE EXPENSE</option><option value="SPECIAL EVENTS">SPECIAL EVENTS</option><option value="SUBSCRIPTIONS">SUBSCRIPTIONS</option><option value="SUPPLIES - OFFICE">SUPPLIES - OFFICE</option><option value="SUPPLIES - QUALITY SERVICE">SUPPLIES - QUALITY SERVICE</option><option value="SUPPLIES - R&D">SUPPLIES - R&D</option><option value="SUPPLIES - SHIPPING">SUPPLIES - SHIPPING</option><option value="TELEPHONE">TELEPHONE</option><option value="TEMPORARY HELP">TEMPORARY HELP</option><option value="TRAVEL">TRAVEL</option><option value="VEHICLES/MILEAGE/RENTALS">VEHICLES/MILEAGE/RENTALS</option>      </select></td>

<td align="center"><input type="text" name="description[]" size="30" value=" " /></td>
          </tr>
          <tr><td colspan="3">&nbsp;</td></tr>
          </table>
          <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="80%">
            <tr align="center">
            <td>Amount</td>
            <td>GST</td>
            <td>PST</td>
            <td>Other Tax</td>
            <td>Total</td>
            <td>Currency</td>
            <td>Receipt</td>
          </tr>
          <tr align="center">
          <td><input type="text" name="amount[]" size="4" /></td>
          <td><input type="text" name="gst[]" value="0" size="4" /></td>
          <td><input type="text" name="pst[]" value="0" size="4" /></td>
          <td><input type="text" name="other_tax[]" value="0" size="4" /></td>
          <td><input type="text" name="total[]" value="?" readonly size="4" /></td>
          <td><select name="currency[]"><option>CDN</option><option>USD</option></select></td>
          <td><select name="receipt[]"><option>YES</option><option>NO</option></select></td>
       </tr>
       </table>
       </div>
       </div>
       <br><br>
      <p align="center"><input name="button" type="button" value="Insert another expense" onclick="addDiv()">
      <input name="submit" type="submit" value="Submit">
    </form> 
    </body>
    I have tried messing with the javascript but im unable to get it to work. Perhaps I should just scrap it as im not familiar with it and dont wont to keep bothering you guys.
    Last edited by tdob; 01-24-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Code:
    function madeSelection(){
    var names=['department[]','account[]'], n, sel, s, i, j=0;
    while(n=names[j++]){
    	sel=document.getElementsByName(n); i=0;
    	while(s=sel[i++]){
    		if(s.selectedIndex==0){alert('Please Choose Something');s.focus();return false;}
    	}
    }
    }
    Code:
    <form id="form-expense" action="?link=summary.php" method="post" onsubmit="return madeSelection()">

I would just like to say thank you very much, you have really shown me some creative ways to do things, i have read up on some of these things and hopefully this can be a good starting point for me.

thanks again, im sorry if I was a bit persistent, hate it when I cant get something to work.

do you know a good book (or heck, have you written) one that specializes in javascript working with webforms, etc..?

You are welcome...
    Regarding the books, no, I don't know books specialized in javascript working with webforms...

Everything I know, I know from some "classical" sites of standards as:
    http://www.w3.org/
    http://www.ecma-international.org/pu...s/Ecma-367.htm

some good tutorials:

http://www.w3schools.com/
    http://www.quirksmode.org/
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/

... and, of course, from Web Forums like this one

Hi the example is working fine. But only one problem.

I want the options list as
    <option value="item1" >item1</option>
    <option value="item2">item2</option>
    <option value="item3" selected="selected">item3</option>
    <option value="item4">item4</option>
    <option value="item5">item5</option>

"item 3 " shouldbe selected. But i tried n number way , always it is showint the selected item as "item1" (i.e. the one that present in the first option).

Can you please help me.

And your whole code is?

You are welcome...
    Regarding the books, no, I don't know books specialized in javascript working with webforms...

Everything I know, I know from some "classical" sites of standards as:
    http://www.w3.org/
    http://www.ecma-international.org/pu...s/Ecma-367.htm

some good tutorials:

http://www.w3schools.com/
    http://www.quirksmode.org/
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/

... and, of course, from Web Forums like this one
    Hi Kor,

Ive been using this code and I have the need for something that seems so simple but yet so hard. I need to keep track of (and display) the number of the current row.

For example, when a user clicks to insert another row of elements, I would like to be able to display that it is Row 2, or Row 3. I have been unable to find a way to do this and display it in PHP, im thinking it is not possible?

Thread Information