www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help us to help you.

An "unwritten" rule of the Forum or of any other Forum is to avoid doing someone's homework. We are here to help people, not to do entirely their job.
    Share on Google+

Oh dear... I noticed one of your rule type things said to post the HTML code you're working with... I'm not really allowed to do that... I'm just a little intern while the company is using my labor for free... Is that alright still? I tried to ask a pretty specific question...

Sharra
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Amoranth1
    Oh dear... I noticed one of your rule type things said to post the HTML code you're working with... I'm not really allowed to do that... I'm just a little intern while the company is using my labor for free... Is that alright still? I tried to ask a pretty specific question...

Sharra
    I might be excused, but I think u have overpassed your company's rules. The HTML/javascript codes are free to be seen anyway, so what's your/your company's problem?. Just try to simplify the essential part pf your code and bring it here. Otherwise it will be very hard or impossible for us to help you. Do u think we are here to steel things that we have already known?...
    Share on Google+

The solution is to duplicate the html with all the sensitive information taken out. We don't care about the specific content, as long as it won't change behavior.
    Share on Google+

i am a somewhat newbie to the internet i want to learn and learn the right not half assed i want to learn javascript i am a beginner and don't assume i know anything i want to start dfro scratch in learning javascript where do i start i will need all the help i can get maybe some day i will be able to help you
    thank you joe kreuz
    Share on Google+

Firts learn very well HTML and CSS. Than javascript and DOM. Than some basic server-side language, php or asp...

See some tutorials of all these:

http://www.w3schools.com/
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/
    Share on Google+

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot scragar
    But many time I saw if I want any help from existing topic I fail to get it. So I think if you use tagging system for the topics and a search option with that tag.
    Then it will help us to find out the solution very fast from the existing topics.
    Share on Google+

Check the JavaScript Console. If your code "doesn't work", check the JS console for any indicated errors, which usually will indicate the problem area.
    Always include any error message in your post, even if you don't understand its meaning.
    It is extremely annoying to be passed a piece of code or URL that generates un-acknowledged errors.
    When developing a site, where possible always configure the console to pop-up on error.
    Generally the most helpful error messages are provided by the FireFox/Netscape/Mozilla JavaScript console. It is accessed via the Tools menu.
    If you're using Internet Explorer, click on the yellow triangle at the bottom-left corner of the window.
    Last edited by Arty Effem; 11-06-2006 at 11:18 AM.
    Scripterlative.com

PM = 'PayPal Mode'
    Share on Google+

Speaking about the Moz (or FF) console, here's a tip for the beginers. You may force the javascript console to open in a side bar (which is more convenient than open it in a new window) by using a XUL

- Bookmark this xul:
    chrome://global/content/console.xul
    - Right click on the bookmarked xul -> Properties -> check "Load this bookmark in the side bar"
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by thuko135
    I totally agree with Jeff. Although I don't usually post here, just read, you have to criticize people's code, especially to get them to learn the right way of doing things.
    A) Great as long as you are 100% sure you know the "right" way.

B) Tone is everything. Suggesting best practices or alternatives can be done without "criticizing". Criticizing someone's code is really a veiled criticism aimed at the author, i.e. "you're stupid", or "you're lazy", or "I don't like you", etc. Why waste your time criticizing; if you don't want to help, don't. Of course, if a poster is disruptive, then a moderator should deal with them.

I'm probably quibbling over the meaning of criticism, but it doesn't sound like a good thing. I'm hoping that every type of question can get some kind of reasonable answer. Nothing wrong with suggesting better code or proven code. But often people want to know why their approach won't work -- it's part of developing code savvy. If someone is willing to take the time to explain why, it is very valuable and instructive to the community.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by simonbaker
    A) Great as long as you are 100% sure you know the "right" way.

B) Tone is everything. Suggesting best practices or alternatives can be done without "criticizing". Criticizing someone's code is really a veiled criticism aimed at the author, i.e. "you're stupid", or "you're lazy", or "I don't like you", etc. Why waste your time criticizing; if you don't want to help, don't. Of course, if a poster is disruptive, then a moderator should deal with them.

I'm probably quibbling over the meaning of criticism, but it doesn't sound like a good thing. I'm hoping that every type of question can get some kind of reasonable answer. Nothing wrong with suggesting better code or proven code. But often people want to know why their approach won't work -- it's part of developing code savvy. If someone is willing to take the time to explain why, it is very valuable and instructive to the community.
    Wise comment. I also agree that, beside the code itself, we should give the others the possibility to understand the code...
    Share on Google+

I'm working on something with Google Maps, and I'm afraid I got in a bit over my head.
    I'm trying to add re-sizing controls to the map, and I just can't figure it out. The object is to get the "Size" part of what this guy has done... without all the other stuff.
    And nothing I'm trying is working.

Background info on the Google Maps API
    Share on Google+

Help me understand....

...please help me understand...you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about javascript but decide to use a script you find online in your site.

Do you also try to ake a pie with no idea about pastry?

Do you also denouce God without ever having read a bible/koran/torah?

Do you try to install a CD player in your car with no idea about automotive electrical principals?

So why do you try and get us to fix a problem with a menu that we did not write and would never use in a million years?

Why not find out the author (always listed) of the script and ask them?

Oh yeah, I just remembered why....because we can bake a pie while reading the torah and listening to our newly installed CD player in the car.
    Design first! Code later!
    Share on Google+

Let's take it easy a bit. We're here to help and encourage, not tear down and destroy. First of all, the post is three months old. Second, it's off topic anyway and needs to open its own thread.

It's probably time to close the thread anyway.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill
    Share on Google+

Thread Information