www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: opening different window

opening different window

hi all,i have a site with geocities and i want a new window to open when a link is struck instead of the link taking you away from my site,i have tried this from geocities . . . <a href="newpage.html" target="_blank">New Page</a>
    where the "new page " is i type www.koorong.com ..... i get a link for koorong in red with "> at the end of the link,and it opens in a new window,but sais page cannot be displayed .....

i tried this from html goodies .... <A HREF="http://www.site.com/page.html"
    TARGET="resource window">
    Text Text Text</A> ...... with this i get ... text text text in red and at the end of it is "> .... when link is hit,my page changes to a page that sais , page cannot be found,,,,,i have been playing with this for a couple of days now and am getting no where fast,i hope there is some one here who may be able to help me with this problem,i say thank you in advance cause i have done some reading before posting this thread,and i noticed you have a very good success rate of getting it right,i hope that my problem can be sorted out also,thx for your time all,be well and God Bless you all.

Norm . . .

Give <a href="http://www.w3.org/" onclick="window.open (this.href, 'child'); return false">W3C</a> a try. If that doesn't work then post the URL.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

opening different window

hello Charles,i tried the script you suggested it gave me a new window but,before the link on my page i had ... W3C"> ... and when i hit the link i get a new window,but sais page cannot be found,and then my web page goes white and sais page cannot be found,im sorry for the trouble,the web page i am trying to link to is ... www.koorong.com ... i hope this is what you wanted from me,thx again be well

Norm . . .

Which link is having the problem? And if you use my example above does the problem go away?

I looked at your page and the way you are opening new windows is a problem - several problems actually. But the big prolem is that you are creating naviation that requires JavaScript. One in ten users do not use JavaScript, some beause of some disability that they have. You'll not that my example keeps things working for the JavaScript free.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

opening different window

im sorry to have wasted your time charles,i made this page with geocities page builder,i know nothing of java or html,all i wanted was a new window to open when a link was hit on my page is all,it isnt life or death if it happens,my head hurts now,so im going baleees on this,i thank you from the bottom of my heart for the help you gave me on this matter,im not worthy of your time be well.......

Thread Information