dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: URL Rewrite

URL Rewrite

I would like to clean up my url's with a program like mod_rewrite in PHP. Is there anything out there that doesn't have to be installed to the server to do this job?

No. But, frankly, I don't know what real purpose it would serve.

I've been looking for this as well. Is there really no way to do this in ASP(.NET)?

Can't speak for .NET, but I've never heard of anything in IIS for being able to omit the .asp suffix (or use an alternate suffix) and still have your .asp pages executed anyway. However, there may be a way to get ASP to process your pages even if they have a different suffix than the normal .asp suffix. I've never looked into that possibility.

The purpose for doing this is to make the URL's easier to remember. That way the link that would normally show up like link.asp?id=2&post=5 could show up easy like 2005/05/post-title and still do all the functions. As you should know phpnovice (or will eventually find) this is known as mod_rewrite in php and many php blogs use it for this purpose. I have found many sites on how to do this in ASP.NET but not ASP Classic memark

Quote Originally Posted by sirhcchris3
    As you should know phpnovice (or will eventually find) this is known as mod_rewrite in php ...
    Yep, already knew that. However, you mention specific arguments in connection with the URL. Most of the questions I see on the subject in PHP are merely interested in eliminating the extension. It is for that which I don't see much use.

I have read in many articles that users remember links if they do not include the ?id=2&page=45&bla=bla

Understandable, but that is not what I was talking about. In any case... I also don't know why anyone would want to require such obtuse links to be remembered nor why anyone would need to remember them -- when browser favorites are so handy. Hey, call me silly for using technology to its fullest.

Here is the write up i am talking about. http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article1042.asp

Quote Originally Posted by sirhcchris3
    As you should know phpnovice (or will eventually find) this is known as mod_rewrite in php and many php blogs use it for this purpose. I have found many sites on how to do this in ASP.NET but not ASP Classic memark
    Could you please direct me to one of those sites?

Just do a search for "URL rewrite ASP.NET" on google.com

Thread Information