www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE I SHOULD GET for my laptop!!

WHAT EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE I SHOULD GET for my laptop!!

Deal members:

I need your help on figuring out what external hard drive i should get for my toshiba satellite 1400-s151 (more info on toshiba.com/support for this laptop) laptop. what i am looking for is an external hard drive (don't matter if its portable or desktop) which has at least 80 Gb, usb 1.1 feature, don't want a fireware because my laptop doesn't support it or usb 2.0 (althought i might get a usb 2.0 card to use usb 2.0), and small enought that it will fit in a normal brief case (don't want that is same size as a a dvd player or xbox ). therefore dear members, please let me know which one are the best in your opinion in details if thats possible, and your experience with it.
    thank you very much!!!

what country are you in? We generally like to provide links, so if you tell us your location we can provide links to the relevant shop.
    I'm a fan of the Freecom Classic range - http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0
    One of my friends uses one on his antiquated laptop - it runs via usb any version.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

i live in usa (staten island, Ny to be more accurate). i asked on other forums that i should get a internal hard drive ise and an enclosure to put it in, but they didn't mention much about which one i should get and the best ones out their! therefore, can you tell me whichone i should getthank you very much (any link, info will defentely help!)

Is USB 2.0 backwards compatable w/ 1.1, or are the connectors different? I don't know that you can buy a straight-up USB 1.1 external hard drive anymore these days... maybe on E-bay or something. I would go for a 2.0 anyway though, even if it means you need to get a 2.0 card. Firewire, though, tests to be a faster method of data transport.

USB 2.0 is completely backward compatible with USB 1.1 as the connections are identical. There's no noticable difference between an external HDD that uses USB2 or Firewire connection because the two connections have the ability to transfer information many times faster than current HDD's can read/write.

As far as recommending which external HDD to get, I don't know. However I would probably favour one made by seagate as that is my first choice of manufacturer for internal HDD's. Failing that, I'd get a Maxtor one.

Here are some links to a selection of external USB HDD's on some American web-sites.
    Every fight is a food fight when youíre a cannibal.

I thought I had read somewhere that 2.0 was backwards compatable, but I couldn't remember for sure- which is why I asked, lol. But anyway, I agree, and I have a Maxtor 80GB HD at home that I like a lot...

well it says on my laptop manager that i have usb 1.1 so i don't know if my laptop supports usb 2.0 (how do u know it does?) but never mind as it doesn't matter since i won't be transfering very large files.

what i want to know is if i get an external hard drive IDE and put it in a hard drive enclosure, can you tell me please, will it work with a toshiba laptop or not?

So long as it connects via USB then yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcruise3230
    well it says on my laptop manager that i have usb 1.1 so i don't know if my laptop supports usb 2.0 (how do u know it does?)
    basically your laptop only supports usb 1.1, but when Dave H said USB 2 was backwards compatible he meant that the external usb2 hard drive can also speak usb1.1, if that makes more sense.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

okay i understand fully know about the requirements and what should iget for the most outof money. so i don't need any more help so thanks for all the help everyone i really appreciate it (if u still have some suggestion what enclosure and hd i should get feel free to send more links since i won't be buying them till this monday that is coming up! so please do if u want to!)

can some one tell me please is this an internal hd IDe (that u put in an externla enclosure to hook it up to a laptop) because i want to clearly make sure i am getting the right one:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM 2M Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148015)

Also, can you tell me will it support usb 2.0 or usb 1.1 or that is up to what enclosure u get.

And just one more thing, does it include cables, software because i can't seem tofind that information (i am just a newbie )

please let me know asap as i this is the one i am sure i iwll be getting so its pretty much my last question! so please let me know! thank you very much

I believe this is only an IDE HD and will not work w/ USB. Unless there is some kind of adapter I don't know about- which is entirely possible that I wouldn't know about it...
    oh wait... no... that's what the external enclosure is for (just looked it up...). So there was one I didn't know about...

Ok, so if that's what you want, I'd say go for it, looks like a good buy. I don't really understand why you would go for an internal w/ an enclosure as opposed to a plain external HD. I hope it works well for you!

because getting a seperate enclosure and hd ide is cheaper then a complete external hd (about 30 dollars cheaper) so thats the reason
    so, i think i understand now everything i wanted to know: get 8 mb (help from other forums), get from seagate or western digital, etc etc. so thanks for everything! i really appreciate it :O) take care now
    (if u still have some tips and suggestions of what hard drive ide (under 82) and enclosure (under 35) i should get under , don't hesitate to let m eknow please!)

with all ur helpful information i brough these from newegg.com

ENCLSR 3.5" USB2.0 AMS DS-2316B2BK - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$37.99)
    HD 120GB|SEAGATE ST3120026A 8mb % - OEM (Qty=1,Price=$81.00)

ENCLSR 3.5" USB2.0 AMS DS-2316B2BK - Retail (Qty=1,Price=$37.99)
    HD 120GB|SEAGATE ST3120026A 8mb % - OEM (Qty=1,Price=$81.00)

SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH WITH ALL YOUR USEFUL HELP (I WILL TRY TO DO THE SAME WHEN EVER I GET THE CHANCE TO SO THANKS AGAIN!)

however, i am having trouble with this drive: when i plugged in the enclsoure and the hd ide in it, window xp quickly recognized and installed it. then i formatted the drive and used 100 gb to form 2 partitions and put about 2 gb of video on both partitions. but, then the next day, it stop working clearly: it said on USB mass storage device properties on the device status: this device cannot be started (code 10). i tried uninstalling then reinstalling, but it kept saying the same thing, no matter what, even if i installed the drivers from the cd (which i don't need to since i have window xp) and updated the driver from that cd but when i restarted my computer, it didn't turned back on. (so i had to roll back to to most recent confrigation that worked before, meaning uninstallling the drivers from the cd (never mind about that because thats not the problem.). i checked help and support on window xp, and tried all of the suggestions it told be, however that didn't seem to work either. therefore can you tell me whats the problem and how to fix the problem ( this device cannot be started (code 10). ) please let me know asap! thank you very much!

Have you tried checking that the HDD is still properly connected up inside the enclosure? That's the only thing I can think of that it might be.

Thread Information