www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A reply to all the "FLASH BASHING" in these forums.

A reply to all the "FLASH BASHING" in these forums.

I see all the flash bashing and have to comment.

As broadband increases Flash will take over the internet and here is why.:

First the Plugin .. Fact: the Flash plugin even the later versions is wider spread an active on browsers as compared to Javascript witch has 11% and rising with the amount of people simply turing it off.

Fact: JavaScript and or flash can do things that server side script and html can not do.

Fact: Flash can render a page on any browser the same way. HTML /CSS attributes and DHTML can not do this.

Fact: Flash is not just a design / animation tool anymore. It can parse and write XML on the fly, read text files and communicate with server side script to work with databases.

Fact: Flash applications do not need to rely on “cookies”, “session variables” or have cookies turned on in order to navigate through the application.

Fact: web forms made in flash can be far superior for validation purposes. Immediately warn the user of an incorrect field entry with out javascript(less prevalent on the web in 2005.. look it up.) pop-up or resubmitting the page to itself.

Fact: Flash can use a timeline to load data elements(via flash remoting) and not have to reload an entire webpage.

Fact: on the flash stage your not restricted to tables in order to have good layout and design. without things jerking around and changing colors from browser to browser.

Fact: (with-in notice of the human eye)flash does not take longer to load than html. (miss use.. and long animations have distorted this) As a matter of fact flash can appear to load faster as you can choose what elements you want to load first.

Fact: flash can load play a movie with no other plug-in. (you don’t need real player, windows media player or quicktime.)

Fact: you can reproduce any javascript animation that would take hours. in a few minutes. Nothing is static everything can move on the fly.

Fact: Flash is not a stateless environment. (this is critical meaning you can envoke serverside script pages/and proxies on fhe fly. with out the user doing anything.)

I can go on and on. But .. that’s enough for topic starters.. lol let the bashing of this post begin.
    Last edited by Samuel2816; 05-10-2005 at 07:09 AM.

without "bashing" allow me to just state that I don't think anything could "take over the internet", That's a little to far fetched.

And flash is nice, I just don't intend to pay for a graphical interface that I can't handle very well(I'm no good with graphics of any kind) when I have a set of free languages available at my fingertips.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

I don't think anything could "take over the internet", That's a little to far fetched.
    did not take long for that statement to get shot down..I can agree with that.. but you will see flash rise to a level far beyond that most anticipate. And I’m talking about dominance over the front end of the internet.
    Last edited by Samuel2816; 05-10-2005 at 07:22 AM.

Seeing as you provided a lot of advantages of Flash, here are some of the disadvantages. (Yes, I know, bashing slightly.) I realise some of these may change as it gradually develops.

1. There are no good free Flash editors around. (Unless you happen to know one, in which case please tell me.)
    2. The format is controlled by Macromedia (oops, sorry, now Adobe) and rather depends on them making money from the editor (see 1).
    3. Flash is less accessible to the disabled and search engines. (This one is being fixed, I believe.)
    4. Many of the advantages you list also apply to JavaScript, particularly as part of AJAX. (Where did you get the figure of 11% JavaScript availability from? The latest stats on thecounter.com give around 5%.)

In summary, I think Flash is a great technology and advantageous in some cases, but it's got a long way to go before it "takes over the Internet". There will, of course, always need to be server-side languages and I think that is where the greatest development will be seen. For example, while Flash provides rapid input validation you must still repeat that validation on the server in any application where security is important.

Adam
    "If you’re not using valid HTML, then you haven’t created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isn’t a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

5. Most people using Flash haven't learned to use it properly and so produce files that are 1000% of the size that they ought to be. Properly written Flash is great but 95% of Flash is written by people who don't know how to write it properly. (Then again about 90% of web pages aren't written properly either).
    Stephen

Java Applets also offer most of the functionality a flash application can.

Java's, javascript and flash are all different, it's just down to users preference.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...

Java's, javascript and flash are all different, it's just down to users preference.
    Thats just part of the reason why Flash will never "take over the internet". How can the "internet" be taken over anyway?

Regards.

How can the "internet" be taken over anyway?
    ask bill gates, he wants people to start making sites like: http://www.debitelshop.dk/

When did Bill endorse that site? And that's the World Wide Web. He said "internet".

he didn't endorse it as far as I know, but it refuses all browsers except IE to veiw it!

And I'd kinda forgoten he mentioned the net, not the www.

I can't see the logic in your statement, though. Was it just a loose comment, or did you mean something by it? It doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by scragar
    ask bill gates, he wants people to start making sites like: http://www.debitelshop.dk/
    Wow, talk about alienating a significant fraction of your potential audience!
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Flash is a super powered tool! But it is just that a "tool". People misuse this tool for many reasons but mainly because they can, and get away with it.

You wouldn't use a hammer to cut a piece of wood would you?

Fact: Flash can render a page on any browser the same way.
    Flash plays different on macs. Its dependant on the processor speed. Its the main reason why I dont use the .flv format - if someone is on a slower mac it will look choppy.

Thread Information