www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Request for comment on potential service for web developers

Hybrid View

Request for comment on potential service for web developers

Greetings. I work at a website development firm in Indiana. We're doing some initial exploration of an idea for a new service for professional web developers. I thought I'd outline it for you and see if you have any thoughts on whether such a service would be useful to you.

The basic concept is to create a resource site with information about effective marketing practices related to website promotion and Internet marketing in general. The resources on this site - articles available for download as PDFs - would be provided by web professionals to their clients as a part of their development services. There wouldn't be any particular product or service being promoted between the lines or any other distracting gimmicks, so it would be a purely informational resource for developers and their clients.

The inspiration for this service is the seemingly pervasive phenomenon that our customers - the people we build sites for - often need a lot of help in understanding how to best use their site - search engine optimization, creating engaging content, and just integrating it into their overall marketing strategy. While we can help them with some of that, we as web developers often don't make the cut as reliable marketing experts so this is a way we can benefit from the expertise of peole who do that kind of consulting professionally, without having to acquire it all on our own. And with the right kind of co-branding and content delivery tools, it would be seen by our customers as a value-added service we're providing to them.

For the professional developers out there: would such a service be useful to you? Would you pay some small monthly fee ($20? $50? $100?) for access to such a thing? What kinds of features would be important to you if you did use it?

Again, we're just testing the waters to see if such a service would benefit the web developer community. Thanks for any comments you might have.

Chris

Personally, I would not pay for such a service. Unless the Web Site offers me some service and/or supply of information I cannot gain elsewhere for free, I could not see the point in signing up. Web Marketing data and up-to-date statistics are already freely available on the internet. I cannot speak for others, but as a Web Developer, I cherise the idea that all information should be made available -- free of charge.

I am not suggesting you forget the project, but feel it's not something I would become involved in. Other developers may see it as an invaluable source of information.

Regards.

i think there may be a market for this idea but do not market to web developers. we are smart enough to find out the info for free.

do not market to web developers
    I think that's the key point here. I agree wholeheartedly. Mayby you could direct this service at home site makers -- the unprofessionals. (there are alot of them!).

Regards.

Thread Information