www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: bandwidth problem

bandwidth problem

I have a website which so far has had an average of around 80,000 hits a month. Recently a link was placed on another site, causing me to get well over a million hits last month. Although this sounds like a good thing my monthly bandwidth is 20GB and this traffic generated 240GB resulting in a bill for 1500. I cant find a webhost (UK preffered) that can accomadate this amount of traffic. Ive tried to block the links to my site but so far not working. (as my bill is going up everyday) Im reluctant to pull the site offline so I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas?.. Either a way of blocking unwanted links or a good webhost, the maximum my current host can do is 80GB.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

this is definetly a business decision that needs to be made here. you have two choices. 1. pay for the extra bandwidth so your host can handle the traffic or 2. cut the fat. get the links off of the website that are not relevant to your e business or links that arent generating any revenue. if your new high traffic is generating good revenue then you will have to move with the business and get the extra bandwidth. you will have to do some analysis here.
    to start removing unwanted traffic, go to google and type in the search bar link:www.yoursite.com and this will list all the websites that link to you if they arent relevant then kindly ask them to remove your link. This how you can start cutting the fat. Relevency of sites you link to and vice versa will be the seo standard so its a good idea to get started now.
    Last edited by jmaresca2005; 05-13-2005 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks for that, problem is most of these sites arn't in english and half the time I can't even figure out what language they are to email them to remove the link My current host provider said that I can block links from certain IP's but it doesnt seem to be working. The site is offline now until I can find another host provider - dont suppose anyone can recommend a good provider that can accomodate high bandwidth?.. I dont want to be stung again!

You want to BLOCK HITS TO YOUR SITE? WHY?!?!?!?

I know administrators that woudl KILL to have a million hits a month coming in. How much are you looking to spend?

http://www.serverbeach.com/

has dedicated servers for pretty cheap, that can handle the load. Why get hit up for $1800+ when you can get a server for much less then that, that can offer 2,000 GB of traffic a month. Trust me, blocking traffic is NOT a good idea, especially if you are selling ANYTHING. Be it selling online, or potential customers, etc. If its just a personal "about me" type of page then yeah its no biggy. But if you run any type of business/commercial website - UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE!

http://www.ispcheck.com/

Also has a bunch of links to hosts

a million hits are useless if you dont generate any revenue off of them. the more relevant your business internet marketing is the more revenue you will generate while keeping internet marketing costs down. it is a no brainer. dont make some one think that a million hits is great, to spend more money on bandwidth, when in reality a little analysis can even lower your costs while generating queality leads. YOU say UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE. I say, QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

Simply add some Adwords advertising to your site and have the money flow in 1500 might be pocket change sooner than you think.

You might be chilling in the Western Caribeean Islands sooner than you think.

How does that Adwords work then?

look up Google Adwords and what it does it add advertisiment to your page, and you get paid per click.

Quote Originally Posted by katiepie
    ......this traffic generated 240GB resulting in a bill for 1500......or a good webhost, the maximum my current host can do is 80GB.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    We can offer you semi-dedicated server. If you are looking for MS SQL and ASP.NET on the server, probably this will be the best deal you can get.

the google adwords form will ask you to submit the URL of the site along with contact info. In a about a day or so google will review your site to see what google adwords are relevant to your site. while reviewing your site, they will propose changes that need to be made before they will enter you into the program. if there arent any changes, then your good to go.

Fishing for hits here, but what site was it advertised on?

google adwords?

I mean the site that was linked to Katies website

Thread Information