www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: how to host a website

Arrow how to host a website

Hi every body. I have decided to host a web server. I am looking for a step by step tutorial that teaches me what things i need to be able to host websites securly. I want to know what hardware and sofwares i need and what should be its specification. Looking forward for your replys.Thanks

What kind of server are you running? Setting up the server will not take very long... it really just takes a basic knowlege of networking and how to set permissions.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    What kind of server are you running? Setting up the server will not take very long... it really just takes a basic knowlege of networking and how to set permissions.
    Thank u for u reply.well i want to purchase a new server and want to know what specificatio should that computer have and what sofwares i do need to run the server and host website.Thanks

Depends what you want to use the server for. If it's just personal use and development/testing then it'll be easy. If you want to be running a proper website with visitors etc then before you start worrying about the computer and its software, you'll need to get hold of the one thing everyone wants and very few people can get; A big fat juicy pipe. The kind of internet connection that would make the engineers at you local exchange say "God dayum, that is a fat one".

Quote Originally Posted by method
    Thank u for u reply.well i want to purchase a new server and want to know what specificatio should that computer have and what sofwares i do need to run the server and host website.Thanks
    By my question what kind of server are you running I meant are you going to run a windows server, a linux server, a unix server, etc.

The hardware specs depend on what you are doing. You do not need something really powerful if you are just running this server off of home cable or dsl because that is going to be what limits you. My server is running off of comcast home cable (it is a personal server :P ) which offers only a 400kbit upload rate, which is kinda puny. I am running a p4 northwood (500k l2 cache) which has a clock of 1.8ghz and I have only 128mb of ram in there and a 20 gig maxtor hard drive. It does the job just fine... infact the box is more than powerful enough, I could get away with running a p3 or celeron box and not see a performance drop, but that is because I am running on home cable and am not going to be able to support more than a few users at a time anyway.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 05-21-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    By my question what kind of server are you running I meant are you going to run a windows server, a linux server, a unix server, etc.

The hardware specs depend on what you are doing. You do not need something really powerful if you are just running this server off of home cable or dsl because that is going to be what limits you. My server is running off of comcast home cable (it is a personal server :P ) which offers only a 400kbit upload rate, which is kinda puny. I am running a p4 northwood (500k l2 cache) which has a clock of 1.8ghz and I have only 128mb of ram in there and a 20 gig maxtor hard drive. It does the job just fine... infact the box is more than powerful enough, I could get away with running a p3 or celeron box and not see a performance drop, but that is because I am running on home cable and am not going to be able to support more than a few users at a time anyway.
    Many thanks to your reply. The website that i want to host is for a business not for development/testing and I would be running it of fast connection not home DSL. Initially I want to host one website for the company but my plan is that after the initial start I host a few more websites. Furthermore,
    I would like to know which of the servers that u mentioned are good for this purpose?what internet speed do u recommentd? I be happy if u explain to me the advantage and each one which one is easy to operate and maintain.
    Thank u and looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks

The connection speed really depends on the volume of traffic you expect. If you are not expecting very much traffic you can get by with a fractional t1, but if you are expecting a bit of traffic and are hosting several sites I would reccoment a full t1. But if you get tons of traffic and your line is just pegged then you move up into the t3 - oc3 area... so on and so fourth. Some large hosts run things like dual redundant oc-48s.. this should give you an idea http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OC.html

Well basically you have all different operaing systems. I am a windows user, I use ASP and ASP.NET for server scripting and they run best on windows server being that they are themselves microsoft products (though it is possible to run them both cross platform). Many though use linux and unix servers, people generally run PHP, and CGI (so on and so fourth) from those types of servers. Linux and Unix (depending on the type) are free which is a big advantage to using them. I have never setup a linux or a unix server, but I have used both linux and unix (I run suse linux and windows side by side on this pc and ran free bsd which is a type of unix for a bit), I do not know how hard it would be to setup a server but using those operating systems is painless. But setting up a windows server is not all that difficult.

Arrow

Thank u for your reply. For running a windows baced server what should be the specification of the computer that runs that server. I be happy if i get some information about computer specification needed to run windows server. Such as speed,memory,ram,brand,number of processor,....
    Do u mean windows server 2003 as a web server ?Thanks

Well I am running windows 2000 advanced server myself, but yes windows server 2003 would be the best thing. I am not sure about the minimum proc requirements for it but it can run on a pretty low end processor, I think 150mhz will do. The minimum ram for installation is 128mb. While w2k3 will run on that it isn't going to really perform all that well. Your normal p4 with 256 or 512mb of ram would run it nicely though.

Your could run a server from regular xp pro or regular windows 2000 but it wouldn't be very good if you were using IIS (the common server application that one would use on a windows server) because the number of connections is limited to 10 on those, so you almost need a server version of windows.

T1! Blimmey! You must be loaded!
    I run a web server with 5 sites on my 128k (up) domestic adsl connection just on my windows PC (apache/php/mysql) and no one has complained about the speed yet!

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh
    T1! Blimmey! You must be loaded!
    I run a web server with 5 sites on my 128k (up) domestic adsl connection just on my windows PC (apache/php/mysql) and no one has complained about the speed yet!
    Then those five sites are probably low traffic. I have not had any issues with my server (home cable with a 400kbit upload) but I have never seen more than two simultaneous sessions. Also... if there are files for the user to download or there is any sort of media streaming going on on this serer it is going to eat that bandwidth right up if there are more than a handful of active sessions.

Yes... a good line can be pricey.

Medium traffic but mostly html and css whith a tiny bit of javascript and a few small images. Everything is gziped. Keeping uniformity between the pages, hosting the css and javascript in external files and gziping all the text based pages allows the initial page with all it external files to be as small as 12k. Subsequent pages can be smaller than 3k.

Thread Information