www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast / and of kind of - is your internet connection

Hybrid View

Post How fast / and of kind of - is your internet connection

Hi there,

How fast / and of kind of - is your internet connection?

Here in my under develop country we have cable and ADSL (not DSL, but assymetric DSL). A major telecomunications company (PT - Portugal Telecom) is the leader of the market which was only opened a few years ago. But of course that large company has the monopoly of the market, and the new ones have to depend on the big one to sell their services, because they have to use the phone lines of PT.

Now there is a company (CLIX) that I think is building their one phone lines and centrals. But still depend on PT someway or another to work.

Today PT announced the launch of a 8 mega connection both in cable and in ADSL. But "Clix" already has an ADSL connection of 16 megas.

I would like to hear from you. In your country what kind of connections there are? And how fast are them?

Follow this template please:

Kind of connections available: Cable, ADSL
    Speeds: 256k, 512k, 640k, 1024k, 2megas, 4 megas, 8m, 16 m.
    How much do you Pay: I pay 35 euros for 640k (cable) + cable Tv channels = 55 euros per month
    Bandwidth limits: Here we have limits to what one can download/upload per month --> 1GB for international servers (other than Portugal), 20GB (in Portugal)
    Commentaries: bla, bla and so on.

Thank you.
    Last edited by gimbras; 06-03-2005 at 05:13 AM.

In the UK BT just upped the speed of their standard domestic connection to 2Mb down, with up remaining the same at 256kb. Those that I suppose you might call "economy" subscribers have been bumped up to 1mb down and 256 up. We have ADSL and cable here. Both are monumentally crap though. ADSL runs over a decrepid old copper wire network that is in bad need of repair and the cable "network" is little more than a Frankensteins' monster of small and old regional networks all haphazzardly stitched together in a pathetic attempt to create the illusion of a solid, nationwaide network. The bandwidth packages you can get for cable vary greatly. The max downstreams you can get on cable are usually much greater than that of ADSL providers which on the surface seems great, but the fact is that the services are a joke. The average upstream on a cable package is so small it beggars belief, an upstream of over 128kb/s is very rare. To add insult to injury, cable services also tend to have truly woeful packet ratios. For vast stretches of the land, the average packet ratio is around 17/23, with it sometimes getting down to around 2/11 which is frankly absurd.

The ADSL side of things here is improving over time, but last I heard, the cable netwoks couldn't give a s***. They know people will just buy cable services because it says a higher bandwidth "on the box" than ADSL does.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Philbin
    In the UK BT just upped the speed of their standard domestic connection to 2Mb down, with up remaining the same at 256kb. Those that I suppose you might call "economy" subscribers have been bumped up to 1mb down and 256 up. We have ADSL and cable here. Both are ........................................................
    hey just want to reply to this post and stephen. Im in the UK, some of my family are with BT (grudgingly as their sh*t!!). Ive always live in a town/city up north and been lucky enough to get cable. At the moment the max speed cable is approx 10meg but the max asdl speed is 24meg plus but many people cant get above 2meg because to get high speeds above 8meg on asdl the exchange needs to be asdl2+ enabled (currently only a small handful, nearest place asdl2+ from me is 30 miles away). Ive always been happy with cable (through telewest). Sure it has its problems but its free setup, cheap and does the job better than BT and saves me a fortune in monthly bills (phone,brdbnd,dig TV) £25 .. and currently i achieve a realistic 2meg download, 1meg upload although i never get speeds that im promised but hey!! If i didnt live in a cable area all this would cost me at least £50 if not more ... And when ive worked along side BT or directly as a contractor its been abismal .. They dont treat customers correctly and have an overspewing amount of monopoly unfortunately not by choice and they cant even direct it properly .. I agree with you though about your comment on the ageing infrastructure but we find the same is with most services in the UK (privatisation is different but our rail network for example) .. Thats why we should take a leaf out of the USA's book. Chain prisoners up and whip their arses in to work ... And id like to be paid £30 an hour to whip em!!

Kind of connections available: ADSL
    Speeds: 20 Mb / 1Mb
    How much do you Pay:40 euros per month includes cable TV channels + VOIP
    Bandwidth limits: None
    Commentaries: available later this year
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

Quote Originally Posted by Fang
    Kind of connections available: ADSL
    Speeds: 20 Mb / 1Mb
    How much do you Pay:40 euros per month includes cable TV channels + VOIP
    Bandwidth limits: None
    Commentaries: available later this year

ADSL with cable TV channels?
    What's the name of the company?

At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

I am going to give you my speed test rly quick:
    2005-06-03 18:47:50 EST: 4076 / 359
    Your download speed : 4174176 bps, or 4076 kbps.
    A 509.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 368527 bps, or 359 kbps.

That is from a speakeasy test I just ran. I am on comcast cable... we pay about 70 dollars a month iirc for our tv and internet.

Comcast here too... Mine's about the same as PeOfEo's. Same price too... actually about $65-$70. We're being upgraded to 6Mb downstream here.

USA: Florida.
    Last edited by kin; 06-07-2005 at 02:17 PM. Reason: forgot something...

I'm moving to the Netherlands.

I wish, but ADSL in the UK ain't all that bad, Blue Yonder offer 4Mbps, Bulldog broadband have just started offering an 8Mbps service and there's some other company who's name escapes me but I think they offer 10Mbps.

Currently I'm on BT Business 576Kbps/288Kbps, it's not the fastest in the world but it is free, my dad's work pays for it so he can "work from home" *snicker* yeah right, when I'm not torrenting, which is always.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Ditto as PeofEo.
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

kin, where abouts are you in florida?

fort myers, on the west coast of the panhandle.

Oh... I was goin to say if we live near eachother we should... uh... well probably nothing lol. Cstick lives about 5 miles from me and I have never met the guy.

lol, where do you live? That's funny though, living that close and having never met... but at the same time, I guess it's really not. I don't know more than 2 or 3 of my neighbors within 5 miles, lol.

Thread Information