www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Power of domain names ?

Power of domain names ?

Hello,

I have always wondering about is different domain names have different power. For example is .com better than .info or .ws ?

Do you mean in reference to Google as a quality indicator or as in more powerful for branding?

.com is king. .info could be good, but has been devalued due to the low pricing available. .ws has never really taken off in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Catcher
    .com is king. .info could be good, but has been devalued due to the low pricing available. .ws has never really taken off in my opinion.
    Agreed, I really can't see the value in a .ws but a good legit .info name seems ok. Isn't the .ws tld wrapped up in some 'biz op' scheme?

.com is most def. the best, however, .net and .org are probably next in my book. I don't think I've ever visited a .info in my life though...

I'm not sure if it really matters to google, probably just better for branding.

Kalabo.net - Online Music Collaboration

edit by admin: no commercial links on the forum, thank you

Unfortunately .info names are fast becoming the largest source of spam which will no doubt demean their value sooner than later.

I say probably use a .com or .net

how about .ca?

I was doing a search for a client for a domain of mindyourelders.

mindyourelders.com, .net and .org are all taken but not .ca

when looking to see what the actual web sites were all three of them are linked to the same site. Why is this? Upon more looking it seems to me that the company has the name but will accept an offer if I or someone else really wants it. What do you all think about it. Being from Canada should I just take .ca or make an offer on the .com.

Tracy

They may be domain squatters, buying the names just to re-sell them. Also, many companies will buy the .com, .net, and .org versions so people will find them easier. Although .org should be used for non-profits organizations.

Why not use "mind-your-elders.com"? It's available. Or something like it. don't buy from the others unless you really have to.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeU
    Why not use "mind-your-elders.com"? It's available. Or something like it. don't buy from the others unless you really have to.
    or

listentoyourelders.com AVAILABLE

PS: Domain squatters is such a harsh word -- some of us buy domains for future development and may leave a .com/.net/.org pointed at something until we get around to developing them. I know it is a frustrating thing as I've been on both sides of this discussion. Domains are property...and the easy land rush has come and gone. Now it's all about drops, the after-market, creativity or trend catching.

Also, as for buying directly from an owner, you never know until you ask what someone will sell it for. I've seen some pretty good domains go for very low prices (xxx range).

Quote Originally Posted by SeanIM
    PS: Domain squatters is such a harsh word -- some of us buy domains for future development and may leave a .com/.net/.org pointed at something until we get around to developing them. I know it is a frustrating thing as I've been on both sides of this discussion. Domains are property...and the easy land rush has come and gone. Now it's all about drops, the after-market, creativity or trend catching.
    You're right, it is harsh, and it's meant to be. What you do is not considered domain squatting. You're buying something for future use. That's good business sense. Domain squatters have no intent of ever using it; they just want to sell it to someone who actually does in order to make money for doing absolutely nothing.

You're right, it is harsh, and it's meant to be. What you do is not considered domain squatting. You're buying something for future use. That's good business sense. Domain squatters have no intent of ever using it; they just want to sell it to someone who actually does in order to make money for doing absolutely nothing.
    I agree, domain squatting should be treated harshly as you suggest. And there are current laws against it. But there is a tad more than just hanging onto a domain for future sale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_squatting

There has to be bad faith and TM issues to be truly considered squatting. It's not a fun thing to deal with. I actually assisted in a domain transaction that involved someone 'squatting' that they ultimately lost in a WIPO case. Sadly for them they should have taken the 26k that was offered to them in the first place. Instead they lost time, their domain and I'm sure a bit of stress. Legal stuff is generally not fun for anyone other than maybe the lawyer's bank account.

I agree but, to me, the idea of someone just buying names in order to hope to "hit the jackpot" while others who could actually use them cannot, is disgusting and just plain lazy. But, so be it .... that's the way of the world.

banev, hope you have received a few hopeful suggestions for your dilemma.

I agree but, to me, the idea of someone just buying names in order to hope to "hit the jackpot" while others who could actually use them cannot, is disgusting and just plain lazy. But, so be it .... that's the way of the world.

banev, hope you have received a few hopeful suggestions for your dilemma.
    I hear ya Lee. It also irks me to see a beautiful name with a domain parked page on it -- for years. I look at this stuff a lot like land and real estate development. Someone has to survey their field, lay claim to a piece of land and hopefully build something great on it...eventually.

For those wanting to buy a currently owned domain, the last piece of advice I could offer would be to open up a free yahoo email account (don't use yourname@wealthyinvestor.com) and send off an offer for a hundred to a few hundred (depending on how nice the name is).

You never know unless you ask.

Thread Information