www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to go to for web hosting

I live in the UK and I bought some hosting from Dreamhost who are a US company (thanks for the recommendation Jupac ), I paid via Paypal which converted the currency automatically for me into dollars and sent it on.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

Talking

I would go to page-zone.com!!! I've been with them for 3 years and I've had no problems with them. There deals are great and prices are cheap!!! They have a good forum where you can get GREAT tips. Page Zone Web Hosting is straightforward, and easy-to-use. They have great support, tutorials, and outstanding tools!!! I'm glad I'm doing business with Page Zone Web Hosting!!!!
    Share on Google+

I have had good luck with U.S.-based Globat.com hosting a Canadian (.ca) domain/website.

Their prices are reasonable for the level of service they provide. PHP, MySQL, a web-based console for database, email and other account settings. Servers run FreeBSD Unix.

The only downtime I have had was scheduled 2 weeks in advance for server upgrades. The only problem that I have encountered was the loss of server stats for 3 days (which was no problem since I collect stats on each page anyways.)

Tech support by email is fairly fast and a knowledgable staff make support easy.

I can't say enough about Globat.
    Share on Google+

Arrow

I need to say, after seeing all the posts here, my host seems to be about the the best, Navigator Solutions
    I like the price at MHER.org EDIT: mher sux, soemone hacked my email and they shut me down without contacting me and deleted all my stuff then later eplained that my script wasn't secure and someone mass mailed through my online feedback form, and Big Wow looked good, their prices are a little better than mine, but I've had 2 times down in 3 years, both times were for about 6 hours and they were on it asap as well as keeping customers informed as they were fixing the problems with email in in their forums. I've also had good customer support. I would like to get the mini reseller but I'm I've always lived by "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so I'm hesitant to change.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 02-25-2006 at 10:02 PM.
    Share on Google+

For UK webhosting I use Supanames. I've been using them since about 2000, and consider them to be very good value for money. They are also very good in terms of support, in responding to emails usuallly within a couple of hours.

For example, their cheapest hosting package is £13.99 per year, and for that you get; 35Mb webspace, 1 MySQL database (no size stated), 2Gb bandwidth...
    Share on Google+

Exclamation Hosting

I do actually know of a good hosting outfit, it is a package deal with hosting and your own domain name, etc etc but since I do not want to violate the posting rules anyone interested in the details can contact me directly. Since I sell the package I think it would be wrong to post it here, and I mean to follow the rules.

I have in the past also used Lycros, Tripod, Freeyellow and a varity of others, and never thought about marketing them, once I found my current host plan I also signed up to market it. The free ones are good if you know how to build your own site, and some even have website builders that are pretty basic.
    Share on Google+

Thumbs up Hosting

I went with http://www.website.ws/kvmlm2/hosting...r=silvatungfox since they include the domain name, webspace and 10 mailboxes for ten bucks and it is a global hosting deal. Your dot is not com.. it is dot ws, but that does not affect ranking in the search engines.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Silvatungfox
    I went with http://www.website.ws/kvmlm2/hosting...r=silvatungfox since they include the domain name, webspace and 10 mailboxes for ten bucks and it is a global hosting deal. Your dot is not com.. it is dot ws, but that does not affect ranking in the search engines.
    I'm sorry to tell you this, but your getting ripped off. Read my next post.
    Share on Google+

Web hosting is cheap, don't over pay. My recomendation: mher.org

I don't know if people are actually reading the posts here. Back in the beginning someone posted about mher and Big Wow. mher has 100 megs for $0.99 a month and Big Wow has 100 megs for $1.
    Two posts ago, the one from Silvatungfox, The host offers 100 megs for $10 a month with a free domain. A domain is only about $9 a YEAR! 100 megs of web space is only worth about $1.00 a month. So this "FREE DOMAIN" isn't worth crap, they pay $0.66 a month (that's what you can pay with godaddy) for the domain and the hosting is only worth about $1 a month, so the whole things worth $1.66 a month and their charging $10 a month. THEN, these kind of hosts offer somewhere around 10 email accounts, 10? With mher and Big Wow you have control over your email, you make as many accounts as you want, also as many forwards. And they offer the same choices of using your own email program or web mail. You can also add as many domains as you want as well as creating an unlimited amount FTP accounts.

I'm with Navigator IS and their price is almost the same, but they start at 300 megs of space for $3.99 and then 500 megs for $4.99.

If you need a web page builder because you just don't know how to build one, mher, Big Wow and NavigatorIS all offer very advanced ones.

Here's the biggest difference between these rip off hosts like the last post and the ones I'm talking about, control. You have complete control over almost every aspect of your space from FTP to MySQL. I have an example of the control panel here. I don't have time, but I'd like to breakdown all the parts, like how easy it is to add email accounts and FTP accounts or a password protected directory and sub-domains.

There is no reason for using these limited hosts! I'm so sick of seeing adds that make it sound like a "free domain" or "10 email accounts" is worth something, because it's not.

I bought one of mhers $0.99 accounts to test it. For a month it's been up 27/7 and I tested the speed and it is as fast as where I'm at now. I might be switching. I paid $10.99 for 12 months so they give you a discount for paying for a year.

edit
    one more note. I never used any extras before, I was with godaddy hosting and they had almost no options but I had my space on the web. Once I got the plan i have now with cpanel I started using php, mysql, extra email accounts and domains. I have password protected directories where friends can upload stuff and can be accessed through a web browser. If you don't have cpanel or something similar your getting ripped off no matter what you pay or how much space you get.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 10-29-2005 at 11:16 PM.
    Share on Google+

Hosting Provider Advice

Hi - I'm trying to develop a business case for an Asp. I'm looking for a place to compare costs/features of potential hosting providers. The application has the following characteristics:

- Low number of users, 50 or so (great if more but unlikely)
    - High security required, the application will need to host client data (proof will be required by client IT departments).
    - SQL Server 2005 based using Analysis Services, integration services.
    - Will need IIS
    - Will need a front-end client software from a third-party provider
    - Will need to have access to manage the application remotely (probably obvious, I suppose)
    - UK based.
    - Space requirements could be 10-15GB per client, 10 clients maximum (although probably less in reality).

Any help or advice as to what to do next would be much appreciated.
    Share on Google+

Well I'm not sure who you should go to for, but I would definately recommend looking into getting a dedicated server to host on, as opposed to getting a shared hosting package.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

I have been using LunarPages.com , and am extremely happy with them. They keep adding free features to their plans, bumping up the bandwidth, etc, and their customer service is great. You can see a history of their additions here.

As one of the above posters mentioned, control of your website and email is key. LunarPages has a fantastic control panel with a ton of options, they have a demo here.

I highly recommend them.
    Share on Google+

Avoid Canaca.com!!!! Can't even install Perl modules on it because they use Ensim-based servers and not Cpanel! Yet they are very cheap so and a great deal for static webpages. If you decide to use them, don't miss-read their actual rates (they try to cheat you by telling you the prices for the 24 months billing session as the default elsewhere -- the cheaper one):
    Code:
              Monthly Pricing Structure Per Term

Term	 	Bronze		Silver		Gold
    3 Months  	6.95		14.95		26.95
    6 Months	5.95		12.95		23.95
    12 Months	4.95		9.95		19.95
    24 Months	3.95		7.95		16.95
    Share on Google+

Anybody had any dealings with 1and1? They seem to have a good package but I was wondering about their service, etc.
    Share on Google+

the reason i suggested Inetdog was because it's where we host our Search Engine and we've had no trouble and good speed plus they offer a lot of bonus packages that are exceptionally cheap and it's one of the few linux based servers that also offer asp support as standard and cold fusion MX cheaper than $2 a month
    Share on Google+

Thread Information