www.webdeveloper.com
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Who to go to for web hosting

FirmSolutions.biz

A friend of mine runs that little hosting company, or he use to be a friend. I've been trying to get in touch with him since january regarding various things, SSI, and now unlocking the registrar so I can move to a different company. Its now the END of August and have yet to hear from him. I've sent email, post mail, called on the telephone, and nothing. I just renewed my domain name through his registrar so i wouldnt lose the domain name, but my hosting with him expires on September 1st and if he doesnt change the domain information with the registrar to my new hosting company, my domain name is worthless. This will probably end up in small claims court if he doesnt give me a resolution I like. So yea, FirmSolutions.biz = BAAAAAAAD
    Oh god, please kill me now :/
    Why oh why did I learn SQL instead of Javascripting?
    Share on Google+

Definetly not the way to do business! I dont know about you guys and gals but i find .biz and .tv domains a little tacky
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders
    Share on Google+

I'm currently hosted with www.freepgs.com . For a one time fee of $30 you get 1.2 GB storage, 15 GB bandwidth/day, unlimited MySQL databases, true FTP access, and php.
    Last edited by stevensol; 11-04-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    Share on Google+

edit: this post was in response to a spam posting that has been removed. Even still, I'll just leave this as a plug for my host. After 1 year I'm still happy with them, in fact I'm more satisfied with them as each month goes by, they care about the customer.
    The host I use, BeTheHost, gives you 600 megs of space and 15 gigs of bandwidth with tons of options (everything mentioned above and more) as well as cpanel for $3.95 a month, less than $4. That's the cheapest package. The higher end packages are even better, the top end gives you 3 gigs and 50 gigs bandwidth for only $7.95 and the reseller packages are also very affordable.
    I have a reseller account with 3 gigs, 30 gigs bandwidth for $9.95 and have been with them for over a year now so I know there solid. Best of all, they have a phone number for contact/support.

I like my old host too, they just cost too much for me but they're rock solid (I can't mention them, because I forgot who they were...If I remember I'll edit this.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 11-28-2006 at 01:24 AM.
    Share on Google+

same as the UK hosting post I just posted in
    try www.hostingspeeds.com

it displays a speed tested list of hosting companies aruond the world. Select your country for a better list for your needs.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by p_lea

it displays a speed tested list of hosting companies aruond the world. Select your country for a better list for your needs.
    That site is a joke, it only lists hosts that will place their banner on the front page of the site. If a host don't put the banner up then they don't get listed. That means there are many good hosts that aren't listed.
    We only list web hosts that have installed the speed banner to their main page. They are also rewarded with the Green Icon showing they comply with our policy.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 11-26-2006 at 09:53 PM.
    Share on Google+

Agreed but they have to store a known unchangeable size of file to check your hosting speed. Just like everything online, far to many people would try to cheat. How else would you suggest you check on a level playfield? I could have posted from £19.99 a year, budget hosting at its best pdhosting.net but think people need an open choice not anything spammed. Obviously you would say your hosting is better its your business to knock others off, we all do it.
    Last edited by p_lea; 11-27-2006 at 02:22 AM.
    Share on Google+

Agreed but they have to store a known unchangeable size of file to check your hosting speed. Just like everything online, far to many people would try to cheat. How else would you suggest you check on a level playfield? I could have posted from £19.99 a year, budget hosting at its best pdhosting.net but think people need an open choice not anything spammed. Obviously you would say your hosting is better its your business to knock others off, we all do it.
    They don't need a visible banner, it could be a little java script/hidden file, that no one else can see.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 11-28-2006 at 01:25 AM.
    Share on Google+

Again true but if we all ran sites using this no linking principle the net would be a closed place to be. Anyway the points been made, you like paid advertising where the biggest budgets get first place, where I obviously like the alternatives being a small business without ££££ to blow on advertising.

My last comment around this would be to point out:-
    An advertising budget has absolutely no representation on quality of service. Smaller hosts with the same tier 1 connections with the bigger names by design have the same hosting quality of service.
    Share on Google+

Again true but if we all ran sites using this no linking principle the net would be a closed place to be. Anyway the points been made, you like paid advertising where the biggest budgets get first place, where I obviously like the alternatives being a small business without ££££ to blow on advertising.

My last comment around this would be to point out:-
    An advertising budget has absolutely no representation on quality of service. Smaller hosts with the same tier 1 connections with the bigger names by design have the same hosting quality of service.

Unrevealed Anonymous web surfing -~- Web hosting PM to discuss available discounts
    edit: I just deleted my post, because you are a hosting provider and I'm not going to argue with you anymore. Your opinion is biased.

Oh, and I never said anything about advertising!
    Last edited by Bryan G; 12-01-2006 at 12:11 AM.
    Share on Google+

It displays a speed tested list of hosting companies around the world. Select your country for a better list for your needs.
    Yes the site does test host speeds, but don’t trust the site 100% as it does have some bugs in it that can misleading about true speeds.

See there are 11 test site and those are the most trusted… you can see them here http://www.hostingspeeds.com/index.p...checklocations as you can’t change anything without the owner knowing and people seeing funny reports that would be reported.

It also shows the true avg. speed of hosting as anytime somebody does any testing those 11 servers know and are used for the testing.

Nice to see the northeast #1

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan G
    That site is a joke, it only lists hosts that will place their banner on the front page of the site. If a host don't put the banner up then they don't get listed. That means there are many good hosts that aren't listed.
    That is 100% true, there are tons of good host out there that are not listed, some even listed that are really poor…

Agreed but they have to store a known unchangeable size of file to check your hosting speed. Just like everything online, far to many people would try to cheat. How else would you suggest you check on a level playfield?
    About them requiring the banner, that has nothing to do with changing size or cheating, ect…

Its there way of advertising so you click and see other host which is fair and in the mean time they get a credits from adsense ect…
    Robert Merrihue
    Share on Google+

I am hosting more than 70 websites with only one account. Some people just choose to host their sites with different companies. But I will suggest to got for hosting services which allow multipe domains hosting.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by ryukenden
    I am hosting more than 70 websites with only one account. Some people just choose to host their sites with different companies. But I will suggest to got for hosting services which allow multipe domains hosting.
    The best hosting Company is Servagenet here is they website http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust19989
    Last edited by TheBearMay; 12-15-2006 at 07:00 AM.
    Share on Google+

I found this place, It's free with no pop-ups.

http://www.bravenet.com/webhosting/
    Share on Google+

I too recommend DreamHost, that's what I have myself. In fact, I have so much unused resources that if you guys need hosting I can let you have it for $3 a month.

the sites I host on it are aznaddiction.com/forum, gearsofwarthemovie.com, and those sites don't even scratch my cap of 120 GB bandwidth a month and 20 Gigs of space and so all of it's going unused.

I can probably help you get a domain for it and develop it a little too, it sounds fun. PM me.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information