www.webdeveloper.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Who to go to for web hosting

Thumbs up

Just fyi - My friends have hosting with Namesbeyond.com and they find it is doing well
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by 114211
    I too recommend DreamHost, that's what I have myself. In fact, I have so much unused resources that if you guys need hosting I can let you have it for $3 a month.

the sites I host on it are aznaddiction.com/forum, gearsofwarthemovie.com, and those sites don't even scratch my cap of 120 GB bandwidth a month and 20 Gigs of space and so all of it's going unused.

I can probably help you get a domain for it and develop it a little too, it sounds fun. PM me.
    I would do some research before going with DreamHost. Just do a google search on "dreamhost complaints" or "dreamhost sucks" and you'll see that it's a scary place to host anything you find important.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-07-2007 at 02:19 AM.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by daed17
    Well my company, www.owltechnology.net, offers asp running on FreeBSD if you just need classic ASP, you will need to use one of the available dbs though or upload access for use.
    Your prices are too high for the little space you offer. With the prices of drives being so low now days there is no reason you can't offer a little more. $12.50 a month for only 1 gig, that's terrible.
    I will give you this, the $1.50 for 10 megs is nice for someone that just want's a simple site and doesn't have much money.
    But how reliable are you? This thread is supposed to have posts by users that like or dislike their host. User input, word of mouth is how you can judge.

Hosting companies aren't supposed to post, of course your going to claim your good but that don't mean squat!
    Every company is going to claim they're the best.
    Share on Google+

Cool a reseller account - whm - cpanel - 50+GB

Input please:
    Looking for a reseller account - whm - (web host manager) + cpanel - 50+GB -

Anyone know about:
    http://www.aplus.net
    or
    http://www.bocacom.net

Have been looking here for comparisons:
    http://www.hostreview.com/showcases/...d-hosting.html
    "Chance favours the prepared mind."

Louis Pasteur
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Input please:
    Looking for a reseller account - whm - (web host manager) + cpanel - 50+GB -

Anyone know about:
    http://www.aplus.net
    or
    http://www.bocacom.net

Have been looking here for comparisons:
    http://www.hostreview.com/showcases/...d-hosting.html
    If you read the previous posts you'll see what was said about Be The Host. I've been with them for almost 3 years now. I switched to the reseller account about a year ago and I'm very satisfied with the service.

The 2 places you mentioned are way over priced. Hostreview.com only places adds for hosts that pay or link back because their selection is terrible and all their links have a code that records where you came from so you can't trust their opinion.

Take a look at bethehost.com, I think you'll like it.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 05-24-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Share on Google+

If you read my post...
    I need 50GB - your host only goes to 6GB space (which is fine for most).
    I agree with "Redback" - service is what I pay for.
    Thanks for xyz sucks tip though.
    After reading the various recommendations, that helps to get a balanced view.

Louis Pasteur
    Share on Google+

As far as the prices OWL Technology charges, I don't know any other company that offers Darwin Streaming servers or icecast relaying for your site as an included feature for the prices we charge, that is typically an extra monthly fee. If you don't need that feature, or want to get a better price... email us and we will work with you. If you find a better price, email us the link and we will send you a modified package/price customized for your needs.

I don't know where you see we only go up to 6G space, the server with the demo account shows 57% free and that is over 60G alone. If I know what your needs are, we can do a package for you.

Some of my customers include various city of memphis depts, eagle federation, RadioRadio.us -which alone uses over 60G of storage per month, and more.

If you go to our demo account and view the installed perl modules, you will notice we offer more modules then your standard company.

We also have a 24/7 staff to guarantee that your server never fails, and if it ever dies... they are on site to repair it immediately.

And unlike several hosting companies, we do keep our software up to date. We are currently running php 5.2.2, perl 5.8.8, mysql 5.1x, cpanel is at the latest release, Darwin Streaming Server 5.x, etc.

If your intentions for your server is audio/video delivery, then I believe you will find us to be very competitive in prices... if all you want is hosting then that is a dime a dozen I agree, and you will get what you pay for. My company also teams you with a rep, that will work with you to ensure you always happy.... do the others (for the money) do that?

Also, I did go to RadioRadio's site, http://www.radioradio.us, and on thier main page you will find "...
    We have made some major improvements to the site thanks to OWL Technology."

I don't think they would have done that if they weren't satisfied with our service.

Also, we do offer whm reseller services also.

And think about this fact again, several cheaper major sites have over 800 accounts per server, like I stated earlier look at their /etc/passwd file for proof, and when you multilply those accounts with the fact several are probably hosting multiple sites also... you are going to get slow performance on a box. We feel this is a bad practice, this is why you get all the complaints and bad performance. If we see a server going above its threshold, we will do everything we can to fix it... yes we will even request you get a dedicated server if you have grown to that size... anyways, the choice is yours. But I can say, I have very little turnover, I have not lost one account yet due to poor service or failure to keep them up and running. Most common reason they quit our hosting, they decided not to renew their domain and for they weren't doing as well as they hoped in the internet business.
    Remember the Titanic was built by Professionals, the Ark was built by Amateurs! -- OWL Technology
    Share on Google+

i hardly do any site hosting, but the far best ive ever seen has been hostfreeweb.info on there free service, ftp, php everything that no other site offers! the only bad thing about them for there free package =P is that you have to keep posting on there fourms... apart from that they rocked for me! =D
    Share on Google+

Thought you might like to know, We have modified the pricing today. I believe it will be more inline with other sites now. We have raised the 1 Gig of space to 10 Gigs and 200 Gigs of bandwidth for only $12.50/month... Yes it still includes Darwin Streaming server, php, perl, etc. for free and as always we only monitor OUTGOING bandwidth.

I also changed the 500 Gigs of bandwidth for our best package to unlimited (you will see it when you join in your cpanel) for anyone that joins.

Anything else? www.owltechnology.net/order.php
    Remember the Titanic was built by Professionals, the Ark was built by Amateurs! -- OWL Technology
    Share on Google+

I use Blue Host and they give 300 GB for $6.95 a month. That includes 3,000 GB of transfer a month plus several other features. I haven't had any problems with them in the year and a half I have been with them. And every time they upgrade the offer, I get the upgrade for free.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill
    Share on Google+

That is a great deal. But I did notice that you have to pay for 24 months to get that deal. They also don't offer streaming services for that price. Outside of that we offer exactly the same, and I am betting they are using C-panel/whm also for their packages, so everytime they modify the package EVERYONE is modified also.

If you are willing to do a 24 month payment, I would gladly reduce my max package also for $12.50/month -no monitoring- unlimited bandwidth and disk space....if you need more space or bandwidth don't worry for as we see you are maxing out we will be adding more.

If you look at 1and1.com though, you will see our package by far exceeds what they offer.
    Last edited by daed17; 05-25-2007 at 01:28 PM.
    Share on Google+

OK,
    "They also don't offer streaming services for that price."

Who does streaming well?

Louis Pasteur
    Share on Google+

There are several that offer it, but it is almost always an extra fee.
    I think for the price, we offer a great service.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by daed17
    There are several that offer it, but it is almost always an extra fee.
    I think for the price, we offer a great service.
    But if someone doesn't want to stream, then your way over priced. Most people don't need streaming. I've built several sites for many companies and I have half a dozens sites of my own and I never needed any special streaming. I have video and audio on a few of the sites and they stream just fine. $9 a month for a 3 gig reseller account with WHM and cpanel http://bethehost.com/index.php?page=reseller.
    Your not supposed to be here trying to sell your crap, I've reported you but the mods don't seem to care. Even still, if you look at the rules, your not supposed to advertise. What your doing is against this forum's policy. If you don't have enough integrity to follow these rules, the how could anyone trust you to do business with???
    Share on Google+

Well with several of the other companies you just get hosted. They don't monitor the pcs as they should and they don't offer a 4 hour sla on hardware.

I have dealt with companies like 1and1 and when their servers went down it was a day or longer before they got everyone back up.

You are getting what you pay for, we have traditionally dealt with companies that have to be up 100%, their time is money. That is why our prices are what they are... we did go back this money and did some comparative pricing with others in our class and we are inline with them.

Call the others, see if they really offer you 2,500+ Gigs of bandwidth... ask them what happens if you go over it monthly.

I am willing to wager that if you go to the max each month, they will be pushing you to move the account.

But if you just need a place to play, no worries if the site goes down for a day or longer, then go with them... but I can tell you I have transferred over 25 accounts in the last 6 months from 1and1 alone where they had them down and it obviously wasn't the first time.
    Last edited by daed17; 05-30-2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information