dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to go to for web hosting

It's interesting that their layout is exactly like godaddy's.
    Share on Google+

Most of them run out of the same data center and just rent the servers they then resell those hosting plans to us nice earner if you can get a foot in the door unfortunately competition is pretty nasty and unless your experienced you can get into trouble very easily we thought about it but decided that running a SE was less headache lol.
    I wouldn't mind finding a data center that would just rent to me but all i have approached have a waiting list that could take years to get through as most hosting companies unless they go broke won't give up their golden goose.
    Share on Google+

I have been using www.bethehost.com for a while now and I'm happy with their service. They own their own servers and are usually on MSN, AIM, etc if you need a question answered immediately.
    Share on Google+

Anyone have a host to recommend, Shared Environment/PHP/MySQL 5/Linux/Unix/Windows doesn't matter. but MySQL 5 is the key thing.
    Share on Google+

Unlimited subdomains ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanim
    http://asmallorange.com

They have cPanel, unlimited subdomains (http://forum.mysite.com), unlimited email addresses, Fantastico (a part of cPanel that lets you install cool stuff on your site that doesn't have a flashy ad), and a lot more.
    Does unlimited subdomains means that I can run 5-10 different websites under the same account and pay for one account?

Thanks.
    Share on Google+

James, yes it does, but you might run out of space if you keep adding on loads of sites.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

questions

The sites I'll run are 5-10-20 pages and probably wouldn't be more than 2-3 MB each. I doubt I'll go over 15-20 MB for all sites. If I can pay for one account and run 5 different sites, than that's great.

I currently use hypermart.net

I've been recently looking at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...st+web+hosting

Most of the top web-host reviewing sites rank Blue Host as #1. I think I read that some offer up to 5 free domains. But, that deal that the poster mentioned (look 2 postings before this one), offers unlimited domains. Is it even better?

P.S.
    How do unlimited bandwidth compare with let's say 10, 100 or 500MB bandwidth? http://www.hosting-review.com/
    Share on Google+

When it says unlimited domains, it doesn't mean they'll give you as many domains as you want, it means they'll host as many domains as you want, you still have to buy the domains.

If you said that your sites are typically 2-3MB in size, then you won't need much bandwidth at all, and it probably isn't a concern for you, but then again, I don't know how many hits you get, so you'll have to work it out for yourself.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

Unlimited SUBdomains

Quote Originally Posted by jamesx521
    Does unlimited subdomains means that I can run 5-10 different websites under the same account and pay for one account?

Thanks.
    No, it doesn't. Unlimited domains means you can have as many websites hosted under that account as you wish. But SUBdomains are just subsections of the same website/domain. for instance if you have your website http://www.james.com and say you have a bulletin board system on your website, you could set it up so that users would just type in say http://bbs.james.com and they would be sent to your bbs (bulletinboard system) site. this bbs site is actually just another folder inside of your website.
    Share on Google+

I like Netfirms.com. The price is decent, their tools are easy to use, and they have very little down time.

In the 4 years I've used them they have only gone down twice and that was a matter of minutes. I love their tools. I especially like that I can do a quick edit on pages right on the site. They offer lots of email accounts, site statistics, PHP4 and 5, and mySQL database.

The only thing I don't like is that they don't offer ASP, ASP.NET and SQL Server 2000.

I just started using GoDaddy.com for windows hosting. So far everything is ok but setting up a site is really complicated and the navigation on their website is horrible.

I only went with GoDaddy because a friend recommended them.
    Share on Google+

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. I've also had clients who have bad experiences with GoDaddy not to mention their site.

If you're looking for a good host in Australia I can't recommend Digitalis highly enough. Excellent service. Very little downtime - always notify when maintenace is going on. Instant personal response to queries. CPanel and all the frills. $ 12.95 pm for two domains. $19.95 for three domains. And worth every darn cent. They host anywhere actually. So even o/s can use them.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by redback
    Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. I've also had clients who have bad experiences with GoDaddy not to mention their site.

If you're looking for a good host in Australia I can't recommend Digitalis highly enough. Excellent service. Very little downtime - always notify when maintenace is going on. Instant personal response to queries. CPanel and all the frills. $ 12.95 pm for two domains. $19.95 for three domains. And worth every darn cent. They host anywhere actually. So even o/s can use them.
    That is way expensive for little service. Most hosts that give you cpanel give you unlimited domains, also 200 megs of space for $12 is a rip off, and $22 for a domain is terrible. Either you work for them and are advertising or your getting ripped off badly.
    I was with NavigatorIS for 2 years, and there up time is around 99%. there lowest package is 300MB space 6GB transfer at $3.99 pm. They give you unlimited domains, unlimited email, and a lot more. I went to another host to save money, I'm going to post more about that tomorrow, I was ripped off by mher.org, I think I found a good one now, from a previous post.
    Quote Originally Posted by sae
    I have been using www.bethehost.com for a while now and I'm happy with their service. They own their own servers and are usually on MSN, AIM, etc if you need a question answered immediately.
    This is who I'm with now, www.bethehost.com. $10.00 a month for 4 gigs plus unlimited everything, almost. That's their most expensive shared hosting service with 1 gig added on, Their smallest is 600 megs for $3.95.
    I singed up with them last week after mher.org shut me down. It was 6:30 here in Hawaii and I was desperately looking for a host to get my customers sites back up. I like their pricing and they had a phone number. I called, it was 11:30pm their time on Saterday night, and the owner answered the phone, nice. About 3 hours later I signed up with them. Then I found their yahoo ID and added it, they were there, that was like 3:00am their time, and they seem to be there about 75% of the time. The owner also told me that if they aren't there his pager goes off when they get a phone call.
    There service is good so far, They had customers with the same problem that made mher shut me down. He explained that they will shut you down, but then call you on the phone and inform you, give you a chance to fix the problem and them turn your account back on. mher just shut me down and cancelled my account even though I told them I would fix the prob.
    They have cpanel and nice prices.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-01-2006 at 12:26 PM.
    Share on Google+

Aw geez you don't have to be so harsh. No I don't work for them and as far as I'm concerned I'm not getting ripped off. In the 7 years I've been in web development I've used 5 different hosts and the 100 or so clients I've had have given me the unfortunate experience of having to deal with many, many more. GoDaddy would have to have been the worst and one other local one in my area. This area is for opinion and that's what I gave. I feel that service counts for about 80% of what you pay for and that's what digitalis give you. Service above all else. 200MB is fine for my purposes and I have not had a client whose needed more than this. I have three domains hosted for AUS$19.95 month and I'm quite happy to pay AUS$22.00 year for my domains. They don't put a registrar lock on my domain name as I have seen numerous other registrars do and caused my clients heaps of problems. It is the owner you deal with whenever you have a problem. I've had my sites hosted with them for nearly 4 years now and whenever I've needed to contact them I've had a reply through their helpdesk within 15 minutes. Every time.

As for the price AUS $12.95 month is about US$9 and bethehost @ US$3.95 is about AUS$5.50 so they're not exactly the rip-off that you state. And don't forget that Australia has a much smaller population than the US. A bit hard for an Australian host to match US prices when their share of the market is so much proportionately less. I recommended digitalis as a host for Australian readers - I think that we should support our own country before we go looking overseas for that "perfect deal". I just added that they can host o/s sites becasue this forum is to recommend good hosts and that's exactly what they are. And again no I don't work for them and I don't resell for them. It was a plug for a company that deserves it.
    Share on Google+

(page 2)

Anybody had any dealings with 1and1? They seem to have a good package but I was wondering about their service, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting topic, just wanted to respond to lee. Ive been with 1and1.co.uk for a while. Register all my domains with them because their the cheapest and best and unrivaled cust service (but for dot coms order on the dot com site as after currency conversion its cheaper) and technical, (e.g. they say allow up to 24 hours for changes but unlike other competitors where it takes minutes to hours to change something 9/10 its been almost instantanious). Anyway as for their hosting its ok, excellent customer service (confirming orders and help), but just not the cheapest or offer the most. (basing my experience on the £9 package, cgi, sql etc. just not the cheapest available) I used to use a hosting package with them alot but nowadays i use multiple free no-add hosts and just keep one paid hoster (50webs is an exceptional free host, better than some paid ones!) as i dont use cgi, sql etc on a regular basis and dont need loadsa storage for most things just good uptime and fast access and good bandwith for visitors which it provides
    Share on Google+

IF your paying what you pay to keep the money in your own country, and you know there are better deals out there, then I understand and respect that.

As for the price AUS $12.95 month is about US$9 and bethehost @ US$3.95 is about AUS$5.50 so they're not exactly the rip-off that you state.
    It's not the price I was getting at, it's what you get, unlimited domains/email accounts/mysql-databases/sub-domains/email-forwarders. Also, reputable domain registrars charges $8.95 a year and the domain is completely in your name to move and do as you want.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information