www.webdeveloper.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to go to for web hosting

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666
    (page 2) (50webs is an exceptional free host, better than some paid ones!) as i dont use cgi, sql etc on a regular basis and dont need loadsa storage for most things just good uptime and fast access and good bandwith for visitors which it provides
    I'm glad you posted them, I never heard of 50webs but they look good, especially for people that don't need all that Xtra stuff. Perfect for personal pages.
    I'm going to give them a try with my wifes personal page and recomend them to some friends.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-01-2006 at 05:28 PM.
    Share on Google+

I had just checked out HostGator . I read a lot of good reports about them in different reviews. Any use them?
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill
    Share on Google+

glad i could help, it did take me a while as well to find good hosts! (feel free to visit me at www.contrast-computers.co.uk - suggestions welcome) if you like so you can check response time (flash site though) but still like paid hosting speed. I even use them for business pages because many clients dont need advanced scripting, just flash or html without cust databases. For others out there ive just logged on and thought id share, this is what they now offer for free apparently (no i dont work for them):

▪ 60 MB Free Hosting
    ▪ Host Unlimited Domains
    ▪ Host Unlimited WebSites
    ▪ Unlimited Bandwidth (to an extent as we all know)
    ▪ 1 Free FTP Account (file manager easier to use with loads of upload fields)
    ▪ Ultra Fast Network
    ▪ Linux Servers
    Share on Google+

nah never heard of hostgator before LeeU - but had a look and they seem cheap and enticing huh?! i might give them a try as they seem to offer alot! especially all the supported ext and e-comm - looks good!
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by LeeU
    I had just checked out HostGator . I read a lot of good reports about them in different reviews. Any use them?
    I have a few websites with HostGator. They're great, I'd recommend them. Excellent service in general. Depending on the size of the website, I either go with HostGator or ICDSoft for php driven websites. ICDSoft.com support is fantastic. They answer questions in less than 15 mintues, guaranteed! Usually my questions were answered in about 3 minutes. Their hosting plans are also one of the cheapest, but they lack diversity.

For ASP driven websites, I go with bananahosting.com. If you want quality, you have to pay for it. And this is what this company delivers. They're a little more expensive than other ASP hosts such as GoDaddy, but we all know godaddy. Customer service replies take 2 days and you run into all sorts of problems that you wouldn't run into with another webhost. I'll never go with them again.

A google search of "godaddy sucks" or "godaddy hosting" should give you an idea. They offer 500gb bandwith and 50gb storage as a desperate attempt to keep their business alive.

Here's an example of the godaddy support:
    http://marc.perkel.com/archives/000861.html

The best web hosting review website I have found is www.webhostingjury.com.
    Last edited by JayM; 03-10-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    The beauty of code is in its simplicity.
    Share on Google+

Top 10 webhosts in US?

I am in the US, looking for a new web host that maybe can do more than what I've been using up till now -- Hypermart.net -- for several years. It's not that I am disappointed with them. I just don't have much knowledge of what is a good vs. bad webhost and it's not my field of knowledge too. I don't know what their reputation is in the world of webhosting. What is it?

When I search on google for best web hosting I see that there are a bunch of websites that specialize in ranking webhosts... unless, they've been put there by the webhosts themselves as an advertisement for themselves. I was hoping to find a web host that would allow me to run several domain names with several different websites under one account and one log-in, so my different websites will be placed in separate folders for each domain name/website and I can upload my files into whichever website I want. However, as one of the previous posters mentioned -- it doesn't really work like that. Ok, if not that way, then anyway... what would you advise for running many sites under different domain names with ONE webhost and I can easily log-out of one account and log-in to another one quickly? Which webhosts?

Also, something that will give me free-bees -- such as shopping carts, or even if I have to pay for it.

What is the reputation for those sites that are ranked high on the web-host-ranking-websites on google's best web hosting?

Also, I had bought a domain name from godaddy; since I don't plan to purchase webhosting with them, is it easy to transfer the domain from them -- to a new webhost that I will get?

Thanks.

-jms
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by jamesx521

Also, I had bought a domain name from godaddy; since I don't plan to purchase webhosting with them, is it easy to transfer the domain from them -- to a new webhost that I will get?

Thanks.

-jms
    You don't have to transfer your domain, you just need to point the nameservers to your new web host. I just moved to bethehost.com, so far so good, I've only been with them for about a month but they offer the same as most other for a lower price. They're support is why I went to them, when I was looking for a new host it was 11:30pm EST and I called them and someone was there to talk to, that's rare. They have the free-bees you want, you have control on the domains, you buy as many domains from godaddy as you want then point there name-servers to bethehost's servers and then you go to the control panel and add the domains, it'll put them in there own folder and you have exactly what you said you want.
    There are other ones that offer the same, what you want is a host that offers cpanel. cpanel is a control panel for adding more domains and adding email accounts, shopping carts, forums and so on. I was with navaigatoris.net for a long time, there very good but cost a little more. The main thing is don't go with mher.org or godaddy for hosting or any host that limits your domains and email accounts, there is no reason for those to be limited.
    I have 17 domains under one account, you can check out the speed of there servers if you want by going to one of my sites, http://oahu4u.com and download one of the surf videos. As you navigat to them and download one you can get an idea of the speed.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-13-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    Share on Google+

Your account

So, are you saying that you pay for one account, yet, in your account you manage 17 domains that lead to different websites?

My domain name is up for renewal with godaddy, then can I renew it with bethehost.com, or it's a contract that I have to continue with godaddy and as you're saying just point the name server to the web host?

Yes, I downloaded the .WMV very fast.

-jms
    Share on Google+

Hey james, as i mentioned above 50webs do that as well, thats what i do on one of my accounts, having several different "virtual hosts" where you can create different site folders within one account, and its free
    Share on Google+

I've been using IpowerWeb.com for about a year and a half now with no complaints. Basic plan includes PHP, Perl, and MySQL; has many applications available; and up-time has been superb.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us
    Share on Google+

So, are you saying that you pay for one account, yet, in your account you manage 17 domains that lead to different websites?

My domain name is up for renewal with godaddy, then can I renew it with bethehost.com, or it's a contract that I have to continue with godaddy and as you're saying just point the name server to the web host?

Yes, I downloaded the .WMV very fast.

-jms
    Leave your domains on godaddy, they are a good place to have your domains, there just not a good hosting service. Like is said, it don't matter who has your domain, that's separate from your web hosting.

Yes I have 17 domains, they are all on godaddy, but my web space is at bethehost.com. At bethehost.com I just made folders for the domains, like "oahu4u.com" is pointed to a folder called "oahu" and my domain "michiganliving.com" is pointed to a folder called "mich". Then everything in the "oahu" folder is the site oahu4u.com and so on.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-13-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    Share on Google+

I assume that bethehost.com also offers offers PHP, MySQL, etc. Or, how about this; if there is something you don't like about bethehost.com, what is it?
    Share on Google+

I assume that bethehost.com also offers offers PHP, MySQL, etc. Or, how about this; if there is something you don't like about bethehost.com, what is it?
    They have php mysql and in a easy to use web interface, I'm new to that and with cpanel it's easy. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have fantastico. That's a section in cpanel that has other bulletin boards, guest books and other neet extras, but you can get those on the web for free anyways, you just have to install them yourself and with fantastico you can install, an example, you can install phbb by clicking a link, you didn't need to make your own mysql database or anything, it just worked, now if I want any of that I need to make the databases and all.
    But like I said, with the web interface it's easy.

I've only been here a month, so I haven't had time to find any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666
    Hey james, as i mentioned above 50webs do that as well, thats what i do on one of my accounts, having several different "virtual hosts" where you can create different site folders within one account, and its free
    I have an account with 50webs, there service is OK but the control panel doesn't offer much and is difficult to use, cpanel offers a lot more and is easier to use. http://ice2k3.com is hosted there.

http://www.dreamhost.com/ was mentioned earlier, they seem good to, but it don't use cpanel, so I have no idea on how easy the management will be.

Also earlier http://asmallorange.com was mentioned and there prices are good and they have cpanel.

It's a tough choice, like I said, I went for cpanel and customer support as the most important things.

edit: I choose bethehost from reading all the posts in this thread, I went to all the hosts mentioned and checked them out. Bethehost offered the most, and for a low price. Their customer support seems better, they are on Yahoo Instant Messanger about 80% of the time and they have a phone number that goes to a pager if no ones there. That I found to be the most important, when there is a problem and the server is down, I don't want to wait, I want help NOW!

One more edit: if you go to be the host, let me know, they have a referal service and I can get some money off my bill, if you don't mind, it's no big deal though.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-13-2006 at 09:52 PM.
    Share on Google+

I will let you know Bryan, when I'm ready to go with them.
    Share on Google+

I will let you know Bryan, when I'm ready to go with them.
    Thanx for that.
    But like I was saying, if you don't go with them, at least make sure you get "cpanel" and unlimited domains & email addresses. I really think cpanel is the easiest interface for controlling your account. There is no reason that a host can't provid that much and still be cheap.

Good luck, it's a pain trying to pick a host with all the choices, trying to figure out what one will treat you right and stay in business longer than a year.
    Last edited by Bryan G; 03-15-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information