www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in Deploying Java to the WEB

Help in Deploying Java to the WEB

Hi everyone. I am in a bind. I am trying to deploy java on my server. I want to capture some information from the visitor to my site, for example, name or location. I then want to capture that input from the user and pass it to a java class. This java class would then perform some function and return something to the user. I already have the class, but I am yet to find a workeable interface between the web and java. I have tried PHP, but everytime I try to call a java class, my APACHE server gives an error message that an unexpected error has occured, etc. I have the latest PHP, MYSQL, and APACHE installed. I have tried all combinations of PHP and JAVA, but to no avail.

I am now considering using another server side language, but I am unsure of 1) what to use, and 2) how to use it. Also, 3) does anyone know why my APACHE crashes when I try to interface PHP and JAVA.

All I need is a server side language to interface properly with my java class and run it and give the user the output.

Your help is greatly needed. Thanks.

Well, Java itself is not a server-side language. Sun's answer to Web Development is Java Server Pages (JSP).

See: http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/

Regards.

Thanks Buntine. I do not know JSP. Is there any information out there that could either incorporate JSP and my Java Class or convert my Java Class to JSP?

You don't actually convert Java code to JSP. You use it in conjunction with the packages supplied by JSP.

See the link I posted for more info. Read the starter tutorials.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by brucew98
    ....I have tried all combinations of PHP and JAVA, but to no avail.
    confused...when you say "apache" are u referring to the tomcat?
    or you are referring to the apache http(web) server?
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

Java IS Server Side

You CAN get user information from users using Java, because java IS server side. Use a form in html and JSP then using a java Servlet you can process the information.
    Do a google for servlets. However since JSP is very hard to learn and isn't really all that great, i'd recommend using PHP for the retrieval of user information.

However since JSP is very hard to learn and isn't really all that great, i'd recommend using PHP for the retrieval of user information
    Thats nonsense. Java is not hard to learn at all. If you apply yourself correctly, Java can be picked up in a matter of days. And Java itself is not "server-side". Later advances in the PHP technology have been inspired by Java-based development methodologies.

Regards.

I never said Java is hard to learn, i said JSP is hard to learn. JSP is different from java. ALthough it uses basically the same syntax, the implementation is far far different from regular java. And JAVA IS SERVER SIDE. Do you know what serverside means? Server side means the application runs ON THE SERVER and is housed on the server, not directly affecting the clients machine.
    PHP is best for web development because the syntax is far easier to catch on to and there is much better documentation for PHP than for JSP.
    JSP and PHP are both examples of serverside scripting languages. I'd recommend PHP for the newer coder and JSP for the more advanced coders who are working on multi-tier projects for web development.

Oh and BTW, the WEB IMPLEMENTATIONS for java are server side. (i.e. the code is executed ON THE SERVER). Java is a programming languages with multiple ways for implementation, is can be used for serverside projects or clientside projects.

And JAVA IS SERVER SIDE. Do you know what serverside means? Server side means the application runs ON THE SERVER and is housed on the server, not directly affecting the clients machine.
    Your wrong. You need to read the Java documentation. Java is an Object Oriented programming language that runs on either the client or the server, depending on which machine the application is running from. Almost any language can be used to write a server-side application, that does not make them "server-side".

It sounds like you are getting confused between a server-side technology and a programming language. JSP does not use "basically the same syntax [as Java]", it is written in Java!

Regards.

didn't you read my response under that one? I said exactly what you just stated in your retort. And even in your retort you PROVED my point! It can be either serverside or client side-- JSP and SERVLETS are SERVERSIDE.
    JAVA can be either serverside or client side-- JSP and servlets are not client side.

Java is an OOP language, it sounds like you're getting mixed up with a programming language and web implementations of programming languages.
    Besides javascript was supposed to be 'similar' to java, but that didn't work out.
    JSP uses similar syntax -- note: syntax is the way it's written-- (i.e. it looks like java)
    Yes, it runs off of java programming language (the engine), however it is not JAVA, for instance, you cannot run a jsp program like you can a normal java application.
    JSP is designed for a web interface.
    Java in of itself is not either clientside or serverside (which i stated already). It's WEB IMPLEMENTATIONS however, ARE serverside.
    Read a little closer.

There are so many mistakes in your argument (which has now changed from "JAVA IS SERVERSIDE" to "Java in of itself is not either clientside or serverside"). Pointing them out would only be a waste in forum resources.

If you would like me to elaborate, I can email you. If you want to continue this, you can email me.

Regards.

You're arguing apples and oranges here. The Java language has many applications, some serverside scripting, some clientside, as well as Java for applications. It's original purpose when 1st authored by James Gosling, was for programming cable tv boxes

Isn't that what I said?

Uh.....................yep.

Thread Information