www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Rate my site

Rate my site

How do you rate my site for:

1. Accessibility
    2. Design
    3. Loading speed

It does have a small piece of javascript but works just fine without it.

My Site

you should work on the design a liitle bit more. stretch the design to cover more of the screen. use more whitespace, get away from the yellow look.

Not bad, Bokeh. Yellow/orange tend to be a bit difficult due to their harshness on the eyes, but yours isn’t that bad at all.

Your header graphic needs to be re-done, though, or at least anti-alias the text so that its edges are not so rough.

Also, what do you mean by “It does have a small piece of JavaScript but works just fine without it”? Are you implying that there is some sort of darkness involved with JavaScript’s usage — that it is inherently evil? Or are you just making note that it degrades gracefully? If the former, you’re wrong. JavaScript and its practical, accessible use offer very, very helpful functionality in loads of Web applications (and web sites themselves). If the latter, I apologize for jumping at the opportunity to lecture you on the proper use of JavaScript — I constantly see standards advocates yell at people for using JavaScript at all, when in all reality they simply don’t understand it because they believe it is evil, which is not the case. Please pardon my ranting.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

The Javascript is needed in IE for the drop down menu but even though the drop down menu doesn't work in IE without Javascript all the pages are still accessible using the left hand menu.

I agree about the graphic and am thinking of using straight text instead somehow.

Why does the text get aliased like that anyway. I did it in PhotoShop and saved it anti-alaised but it didn't look like that until after it was saved.

I cant decide for certain on the colours but the orange comes from when the background used to be white so I may change it to something that works better with yellow, maybe a purple or lilic.

Thanks for looking ;-)

When you're typing (in Photoshop CS), at the top to the right of the font menu there should be another smaller menu a couple inches over. If you pull it down, it will have options like "normal" or "smooth" or "sharp." If you pick "smooth" and have the text highlighted, it won't appear like that. (I'm pretty sure you have to highlight it to get the effect on it, but I don't know since I haven't used Photoshop in a little while.)
    Jason Granger's Blog

I'm an inactive member...

It looks like your images are GIFs with transparent backgrounds. I would suggest using a light yellow matte on those transparent GIFs so that they can be smooth and their edges will be (mostly) transparent. The matte should be subtle enough to where it’s not noticeable in the header, but the matte should be used to make the text more anti-aliased — the rough edges are a result of no matte and a transparent background.

Also, I think orange is much better than purple or lilac. Those colors are nice, but I’ve never really been fond of yellow/purple (though the contrasting colors make perfectly good sense together, I guess I just don’t like it), but of course that’s my personal opinion. I like the orange more.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Hello -

I really like your site. It's simplicity is refreshing, and the color scheme eye-catching.

One thing I would change would be:

Valid XHTML! Valid CSS!

at the bottom of the page. The exclamation marks don't look very professional. You also may select a better description of these links. (I wasn't sure where they'd take me.) You might opt for "Check our XHTML Coding" or "Evaluate our XHTML Coding."

Good Luck & What an interesting service you provide!
    KDLA

simple}

i like your site...simple....that's good. the only problem with the site is like the other posts, the header logo has definitely got to go, go with something a bit more linear.......some kind of sans serif. and also the color scheme is killing my eyes, maybe go with a soft orange?
    peace}

Thread Information