dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: computer specification for UNIX/Linux web server

Arrow computer specification for UNIX/Linux web server

Hi experts. I decided to run Linux/UNIX based web server. I want to host about 5 website in this computer.I be happy if some expert suggest for me a good computer specification that will be good enough to Handel the job and be good for about 5 years. Looking forward for some computer specification such as processor,speed,ram...(all important specification).Thanks

First off you'll need to select your Linux distribution (distro), I shalln't advise on that because I have far too little about their variants. All I will say is that it might be best to go for a comand-line OS, rather than a graphical one.

For a CPU, it seems the average is around the 2.25Ghz mark, although it you want to be sure it'll be good for years to come, then you might want something in the region of 3.2 to 3.5Ghz.

If you intend supporting high volume traffic then you're probably gonna need a fair bit of RAM too. Maybe about 1 to 2 Gb of ram? I think the sort of ram you need for sticking in a machine running web servers for high volume (can't remember its proper name but it doesn't leak memory all over place like standard RAM does) costs quite a lot. I can't remember if it is around $1000(usd) or $10,000(usd) for a stick and if that stick would be a 0.5Gb stick or a 1Gb stick.

The ammount of storage space required (size of yer) HDD's will depend largely on what your site does. If it is just the sort of site that dishes out info without recieving much. Then you won't need a vast ammount of space. However if it's a commerce sort of site that is constantly taking in info (users account storage, order details, order progress etc etc) then you're going to want to start big and get bigger.

Oh and of course, you'll need a monster sized internet connection.

Sorry for the pretty vague info, but I don't really know much about your requirements and hardware is not really my thing.
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

It really depends on the traffic. I agree with Herer, a nice big line is a big priority and that is going to be your limiter and the most expencive part of this whole operation. I am running a decent server right now on a 18ghz p4 with 128mb of ram (I had 256 but my brother needed a 128 stick). But if you have many users those numbers would have to increase (first and foremost the ram, active sessions eat up your memory).

As far as unix distros go I would say maybe free bsd or open bsd.

For linux maybe TSL or Turbo Linux... they seem to be geared for server use. Red Hat used to be the traditional linux distro for a lot of servers, but redhat is dead and fedora is basically the new red hat... it is red hat. So you might look into fedora.

You can get ISOs for several distros at www.linuxiso.org

you should also poke around here http://www.linux.org/dist/
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 05-23-2005 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    It really depends on the traffic. I agree with Herer, a nice big line is a big priority and that is going to be your limiter and the most expencive part of this whole operation. I am running a decent server right now on a 18ghz p4 with 128mb of ram (I had 256 but my brother needed a 128 stick). But if you have many users those numbers would have to increase (first and foremost the ram, active sessions eat up your memory).

As far as unix distros go I would say maybe free bsd or open bsd.

For linux maybe TSL or Turbo Linux... they seem to be geared for server use. Red Hat used to be the traditional linux distro for a lot of servers, but redhat is dead and fedora is basically the new red hat... it is red hat. So you might look into fedora.

You can get ISOs for several distros at www.linuxiso.org

you should also poke around here http://www.linux.org/dist/
    Many thanks for u usefull information. Could u tell me if i run unix/lunix baced web server then how i can run asp/asp.net on it ? Is it possible ?Thanks

It is possible to run .Net on Linux, but you'd be much better off running it on a Windows server where it belongs. I think the thing you'd need to run .Net on Linux is called MONO, so have a nose about for that, but like I said, you'd be far better off with a Windows server for .Net.
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Thread Information