dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mac vs other pcs

Mac vs other pcs

Hi every one i just have a quick question. Honestly, i know nothing about computers and i just want to know what makes a mac better than a pc. I recently developed an interest in animation so i decided to go to school for it. I have this big 17 in. Gateway M675 and i only use it play solitare, watch dvd movies, and do homework, and everyone else has a g4 powerbook. I don't have any of the programs they have (maya, photoshop, corel draw, etc.) but i plan on getting them soon. I just want to know if it would be better to invest in a mac or just go on ahead and buy the programs i need for school.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyenlucky
    Hi every one i just have a quick question. Honestly, i know nothing about computers and i just want to know what makes a mac better than a pc.
    Nothing does. You will be able to use the same titles on an x86 pc as a mac. You can use linux, windows, unix, whatever you like. But because you are going to be using major software titles I would suggest windows over the other two... just to keep things simple (rather than trying to run photoshop through wine).

Quote Originally Posted by PeOfEo
    Nothing does. You will be able to use the same titles on an x86 pc as a mac. You can use linux, windows, unix, whatever you like. But because you are going to be using major software titles I would suggest windows over the other two... just to keep things simple (rather than trying to run photoshop through wine).
    Agreed. What makes one system better than another is not the manufacturer but rather the hardware components it contains. The OS (operating system) is an entirely different spectrum of usability that should be chosen on the basis of what software one plans to run on his/her computer. As PeOfEo said, most major softwares have a tendency to run windows platforms rather than macs, but this is not always the case. Consult the programs you plan on using, and decide which system is better suited to support them.

-Gorky

1 thing you should make sure of if you are going to use software like photoshop, maya and other graphic software is that you have enough ram, or else you will be slowed down alot. i would suggest minimum of 1gb of ram if you are going to do graphic stuff.

I have 768 megs, and mine runs with a lot of free memory. I don't think you'll have problems unless you have 512 or less.

I run 512 on my laptop with a MicroProc, and I can run Half-Life 2 (w/ Garry's Mod) at accelerated settings no prob. You shouldn't base a computer solely on one system component. GFX, RAM, CPU must all be considered. Also, you need to maximize what background processes you keep running, as you're only wasting memory by having nonessential tasks running.

On a semi-related note: my uncle got the G5! Complete with Tiger OS X, Dual 2.5 64-bit Processors on separate 1.15GHz frontside buses, two 250 GB harddrives on separate Serial ATAs that support 1.5 GBps through-put per channel, 8GB of DDR SDRAM, 30-inch HD Display, and a bajillion other amazing features! So Ph4rking INTENSE! The only problem is it's a Mac, so I can't play most of my games on it. Grrr... Regardless, on the subject of macs vs. pcs, the new g5 has far outclassed any PC to date EXCEPT on versatility.

-Gorky

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i recommend macs if you're doing multimedia, such as video-making or music-editing. that's it.

The Macs are good for media and the arts gaming and most other things are 4 pc's

Quote Originally Posted by gorky
    I run 512 on my laptop with a MicroProc, and I can run Half-Life 2 (w/ Garry's Mod) at accelerated settings no prob. You shouldn't base a computer solely on one system component. GFX, RAM, CPU must all be considered. Also, you need to maximize what background processes you keep running, as you're only wasting memory by having nonessential tasks running.

On a semi-related note: my uncle got the G5! Complete with Tiger OS X, Dual 2.5 64-bit Processors on separate 1.15GHz frontside buses, two 250 GB harddrives on separate Serial ATAs that support 1.5 GBps through-put per channel, 8GB of DDR SDRAM, 30-inch HD Display, and a bajillion other amazing features! So Ph4rking INTENSE! The only problem is it's a Mac, so I can't play most of my games on it. Grrr... Regardless, on the subject of macs vs. pcs, the new g5 has far outclassed any PC to date EXCEPT on versatility.

-Gorky
    Drop yellow dog linux onto the mofo or another form of linux onto it. Then install wineX.

If you are a web designer, I strongly recommend you get a Powerbook G4 like everyone else in your class thing. There are some excellent sites out there made on Macs. Not only does the computer and its programs look better, but the programs are much better, in my opinion, than those on a Windows. If you're a strong gamer, then get a Windows, since Windows supports pretty much all computer games. Macs are better for designers; Dells, HPs, Compaqs, and all those other companies would be the gamer's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanim
    If you are a web designer, I strongly recommend you get a Powerbook G4 like everyone else in your class thing. There are some excellent sites out there made on Macs. Not only does the computer and its programs look better, but the programs are much better, in my opinion, than those on a Windows. If you're a strong gamer, then get a Windows, since Windows supports pretty much all computer games. Macs are better for designers; Dells, HPs, Compaqs, and all those other companies would be the gamer's choice.
    All of the major titles on mac can be found on pc. Your point about good websites being made on mac is wrong because a system does not determine the quality of your code or your images. Macs are not superior to the x86 pc.

Also gamers shouldnt go to dell, hp, or compaq... unless the want to get rheemed. Also one shouldnt use mac unless the want to get rheemed. Macs use nonstandard parts and are expencive.

Gamers Should Not goto any manufacture like dell,hp,compaq because they are expensive loads of junk.
    Pc's rule Pc's can be turned in mac looker likes and run mac progams with an emulater

I say buy the software. You already have a working computer!

psssh. Buying software... that is so pre p2p and open source.

DC ++ is a good program to download programs with.

Thread Information