www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Finding Clients

Finding Clients

I've been designing web sites for a few years now, and have made several sites, but I have always found clients through knowing someone within the company.

What is the most effective way of finding/approaching clients who you don't know?

Sorry if that seems like a very general question, I'm just interested to know the opinions of some of the more experienced developers on here

Thanks

- Chris

Well, the concept apply to all industries. Advertise!

You need to get some advertisments in your local papers, directories, yearbooks, etc. Make some flyers and pass them out to local business'. Write a letter about your services and personally address it to local business.
    You also need to promote your Web Site so people can find it easily.

Another way to get clients is to offer a company with an outdated Web Site a new, and improved, Web Site. This is done via a Web Site proposal.

Regards.

Well Buntine is certianly right... 100% you have to spend money to make money, that "money" can also be considered time.

If you know you can get the job done and make your clients happy then I would suggest spend as much as your comfortable with that you can consider as investment.

At the same time what you've been doing is Networking to get your clients and that might be your best bet for more work. Referrals make the world go round, ask your current clients who they know and might like a new or redesigned site.

I could ramble on and on... however the key is finding what works best for you and your target market.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

oh I should mention what works best for me... and thats cold calling and networking.

What I find interesting about that is I'm sure I've told everyone what I do... HOwever no one seems to remember and I find my self reminding them often, very frustrating!
    Compguy Pete

Thanks for the comments, I dont think i have the confidence to do cold calling yet, but i'll look into advertising in local papers and places like that.

- Chris

Taking an ad out in teh local paper is surely an option... but why not take a more targetted approach.

Get a post card or a letter made up that details your services and send them to clients you would like to work for in your area.

The paper is so wide open that your target market may not notice you and unless you advertise on a regular basis your not going to get the results your after.

Also loook for advertising that's not the normal routes, here we have a company that does indoor advertising in the rest rooms and gas pumps. I currently have and ad for them and with enough time and exposure it's going to pay off nicely.
    Compguy Pete

Try direct mailing offline.

Be sure to emphasise the cost effectiveness fo your services and you should get a pretty decent response from a direct mailing campaign. Make sure you address each letter personally (not "Dear Sir" or "Dear Business Owner").

I got a pretty good response from this when just starting out is business and it certainly led to other things.
    Lots of Clicks - 1000 Visitors for $5

Check this blog out.... BrendonSinclair.com. All about selling your web design services. He runs one of the most successful design firms in Australia.
    TidyPub CMS - PM for Demo Login - Easier than you can believe
    Freelance Web Designer
    Web Design Blog

Quote Originally Posted by wheelerch
    Thanks for the comments, I dont think i have the confidence to do cold calling yet, but i'll look into advertising in local papers and places like that.

- Chris
    im sorry but, what is cold calling?

Calling companies seemingly out-of-the-blue, or, in other words, calling companies that your research shows may be interested in your proposition. Getting it right is an art -- don't just call random numbers and hope for the the best.

http://www.inc.com/guides/sales/20677.html

Regards.

Note, Brendon Sinclair also authored "The Web Design Business Kit", which is a fantastic resource for budding beginners.

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/freelance1/

Regards.

okay, thx

Thread Information