www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Any alternatives to Cookies (javascript and html only)

Unhappy Any alternatives to Cookies (javascript and html only)

Hi All,

My application saves cookies by default in cookies folder (IE). BUt the problem is that few users have restrictions on their computers and automatically a scheduled task clears their cookies on daily basis. This is hectic for them to reset the cookies again.

To resolve this issue and unburden those users, I have a set of questions?
    1) Can i save cookies in different folder and then read it from there? Logic behind is that since the scheduled task that deletes the cookies, cleans up the cookies folder, but if the cookie file related to my application is stored in different location it won't delete it and users can still see their customizations.

2) If this can be done, then how?

3) Other wise, is there any other alternative to cookies in such scenarios?

4) can i have permanent cookies that cannot be deleted at all unless user wants it to?

To help you have a clearer idea, let me explain the functionality of the application. It contains navigational menu which can be customized by the users. They can include menu-items to the main menu. These menu items are stored as cookies but when mass cookie deletion takes place, the links are set back to the standard one. Techonology used are javascript and html. That is it.

5) Can I store it as a user defined file (using javascript) and read and modify the values from there?

Thanks in advance,
    Programmer in distress

1) Can i save cookies in different folder and then read it from there? Logic behind is that since the scheduled task that deletes the cookies, cleans up the cookies folder, but if the cookie file related to my application is stored in different location it won't delete it and users can still see their customizations.
    No. And, it might be illegal to hack around the restrictions that were put on the users' computers to prevent what you are trying to do.

2) If this can be done, then how?
    It can't.

3) Other wise, is there any other alternative to cookies in such scenarios?
    No. The web is stateless, which means a web page has no memory.

4) can i have permanent cookies that cannot be deleted at all unless user wants it to?
    No. Any cookie can be deleted.

Can I store it as a user defined file (using javascript) and read and modify the values from there?
    No. javascript does not have access to the pc--its domain is the browser window. If you could do that, everyone surfing the internet would have javascript turned off because they would get bombarded by advertisers writing to files on their computers.

Your user's don't want your cookies, so you have to design your website differently. It sounds like there should be some buttons they can click to get the settings they want.
    Last edited by 7stud; 05-26-2005 at 03:53 AM.

Hi Stud,

Thanks for your reply...Actually, the users want the cookies to be retained on their desktops but coz of restrictions on their systems, the cookies get deleted sporadically and can't do much about this. hence, they suggest us to not to incorporate cookies but look for other alternatives for example, creating a user defined file and reading the variable values etc.

Do you have any suggestions?

thanks.

Save user data on the server so that it can be retrieved once the user logs on
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

look in to databasing or XML

Question

Quote Originally Posted by blah1985
    look in to databasing or XML
    Thanks...

Can you elaborate more on this? Or give me a follow-up link.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdy
    Save user data on the server so that it can be retrieved once the user logs on
    Thank you Vladdy....In what form do you suggest the user data to be saved and how?

thanks in advance...I would like to build up on this as well.

Thread Information