dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Target attribute in dropdown menu

Target attribute in dropdown menu

Senario:
    Dropdown menu containting URLs.
    <OPTION VALUE="http://anyold.url" target='_blank'>Item Name

Question:
    How do I effect the target"_blank" attribute causing the url to open in a new window from the dropdown menu?

Ultimately, I'd like to dispense with the "Go/Submit" button and have the selection execute to a new window on mousedown.

You can't do it that way. You'll have to use an onchange handler, which will make it impossible for users without Javascript to navigate your site.

Quote Originally Posted by ray326
    You can't do it that way. You'll have to use an onchange handler, which will make it impossible for users without Javascript to navigate your site.
    Hmm... OK. After some research on the above quote I think I have a grip on what you mean.

What about..........
    With the current script & form I'm using, I don't even have "right button menu", with the option to open in a new window.
    Is that possible or does that fall under the same that you describe above?

(Thank you, VERY much for your help.)

Opening in a new window isn't a problem. Generating the navigation process is. You can't activate links directly from a select box without Javascript intervention. The supporting Javascript is just a new window creation with the desired URL.

You can open a new page from a selection list by using a server side script instead of Javascript provided that the form has a submit button. You can even combine the Javascript and server side options so that the submit button only needs to appear when Javascript is not available.

What do you send from the server to cause a new window to open with that page?

Thread Information