dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: choosing a pc or a mac

choosing a pc or a mac

hi,

i'm a pc-desktop user headed to medical school and looking to buy a new computer (my parents offered to pay as a gift). my current desktop is a 4 y/o dell-8100 that still works fairly well. what pc laptops are comparable to a powerbook? i know the powerbooks get excellent reviews. i know a lot of people who have, in the last few years, switched from pc to mac and now swear by them. since i'm not in graphics, computer science, or education is there any benefit to switching to a mac? specifically a powerbook vs a pc laptop. i have some concerns about the difficulty expanding the RAM in the powerbook - or is that a silly thing to worry about? should i just stick with my desktop for as long as possible?

i guess the bottom line is that i'm looking for a laptop that will be as good to me as my desktop has been for 4 years. (i've never had a laptop and am considerably nervous about buying my first one) thanks so much for your advice!

I would go with pc... but then again I don't like macs so I am biased.

I would go PC too, but My teacher has a powerbook it looks damm sexy

I suggest that you get a PC. Mainly because it's easily to find software that compatiable and most people use PCs so if you ever have to transfer something you don't have to worry with campatiablity. I also recommend you get a Gateway (or Alienware, if you have it like that!). I personally LOVE my Gateway. I haven't had ANY problems with it unlike my Compaq that I got about two years ago in less than six months it crashed and then every two months (you could set you calendar by it!) it crashed. However, Gateway is AWESOME! I LOVE GATEWAY! Or at least that's what I called and told the customer service people.

PC's are my choice get them.
    Macs are only for media and the arts.
    Dont get a dell though they break easily and i have heard and seen of a Dell laptop that's plastic was sagging at the bottom
    Digtial Star makes really good Laptops

No one should ever buy a pc from a major vendor like dell or hp (laptops are sometimes an exception... but generally keep away from major vendors everyone!)

I like acer laptops, they are pretty sexy.

OK, find out what kind of computer systems they use more @ medical school. Whichever one is the majority, get that. (I'm talking MAC vs PC)

I think PC becauce if they used Macs for medical stuff the patinet would get wrong medicane crash when the patinet is on life support .etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mausau2000
    I think PC becauce if they used Macs for medical stuff the patinet would get wrong medicane crash when the patinet is on life support .etc
    Wait.... what? Could you repeat that?

I'm going to say it out right. I'm biased here. But then again, everyone telling you to go either way is biased. I'm not a fan of Macs. I don't hate Apple, but the Mac is very proprietary. In terms of what it will offer you, the only advantage they really have is in asthetics. If you're worried about ultra compatability, get a PC laptop with Windows. If you want reliability, get a PC laptop with Linux. If you want a computer that "is shiny and hip" get a Mac.

Sorry for being biased it it is just that i had a bad experince with a mac when it was doing an essay and didn't save.
    Though i have to dissagerre with pc's not looking that flash
    Many people have case Mods that you can buy to make your case better looking
    Though macs do look realtivly cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausau2000
    Sorry for being biased it it is just that i had a bad experince with a mac when it was doing an essay and didn't save.
    Though i have to dissagerre with pc's not looking that flash
    Many people have case Mods that you can buy to make your case better looking
    Though macs do look realtivly cool.
    I was referring to the OS as well. Probably does have the best GUI for an OS that I've seen. Though I do like KDE, and hell, anything is better than Windows' GUI.

Guys... if you want stability get a sparc system running solaris. Maybe possibly a power server w/ aix or a mips server running irix.... Otherwise, stick w/ x86.

The windows gui is lack luster, I agree. I like the linux aesthetics so much more.

Maybe you guys are over complicating things.........

Just a decent laptop is in order.

windows xp Pro, 256 mb ram, CD-RW drive, wireless capabilities ETC... Just a simple laptop is good! (Although it should be HP!)

Just a simple laptop may be for the best!
    windows xp Pro, 256 mb ram, CD-RW drive, wireless capabilities ETC... Just a simple laptop is good! (Although it should be HP!) You don't need a supercomputer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny G

Just a simple laptop may be for the best!
    windows xp Pro, 256 mb ram, CD-RW drive, wireless capabilities ETC... Just a simple laptop is good! (Although it should be HP!) You don't need a supercomputer!
    Not really. When I buy a computer, I buy it with the intention that it will be my workhorse for a number of years. First off, avoid HP, Dell, and especially Compaq. Worst crap ever. I've never built a laptop, not sure if you can really though I supposed anything is possible, right? If you're worried about ultra compatability, sure, get Windows. Really though, Suse Linux is awesome, and there's a ton of software available for Linux. Stuff like Open Office and the Gimp gives you what windows has, and compatability with windows formats. Get at least 512 Mb of RAM. Especially if you're a multi-tasker (like myself). CD-RW seems to be standard now with computers anyway, and many come with built-in wirless. It really depends on what you do with your computer, though.

Thread Information