dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do i install red hat on a SATA drive?

Unhappy How do i install red hat on a SATA drive?

hi. please i need some advice on how to install red hat linux on a second SATA drive. when i try to install, it comes up with an error saying it can't find the hard drive though i can see that same hard drive from my windows partitioned side of it...

Question more info please

Hi witchy,
    Please give more info re: your system's configuration.
    How many drives?
    How are they partitioned?
    Which OS(s) installed on which drive & which partition.??
    System hardware specs- all boards & modifications etc.
    RGPHNX

Are you sure you wanna go with Red Hat? It isn't supported any more and installing software on it can be a nightmare sometimes so I hear. As far as I know, Fedora is the new Red Hat. Mandriva (the new Mandrake) and Suse are also excellent options (Hell, any option that isn't windows is an excellent option).
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

ok i'm not an advanced user where hardware is concerned so bear with me if i dont supply all required info. i got this info off the command prompt with "systeminfo".

It has 2 processors both x86 family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 Genuine Intel ~ 3000Mhz.
    RAM is 512. It runs Win XP right now. It has 2 hard drives both of which are 160GB. I partitioned both hard drives into a total of 7 partitions. 6 of them are on ntfs for windows operation. I left 20-25GB of unformatted drive on the second hard disk to install Red Hat. I have installed red hat before on a previously owned computer which worked like a sweet child but the drives were HDD. Both of my drives now are SATA and i noticed that if i change it through the boot sequence to IDE, the installation sees the unformatted hard drive partition.
    Is there any linux OS which allows install on a SATA drive cos i also have Suse linux 9.0...

hope this helps...

you run dual xeon or are those just two virtual procs (one intel p4 with ht).

How come you have so many ntfs patitions? You are going to need 2 - 3 linux partitions... (swap, your reg, etc)

I have used suse and mandrake on my box here which is running sata and ide hard drives, I have had no problems putting linux on my sata drive (which is currently is on now).

to tell you the truth PeOfEo i havent d foggiest idea but i dont think its virtual! ithink i actually have d 2 processors on board. bought it that way. i have so many ntfs partitions cause i have a lot of stuff i do which i just decided to put on different drives n i also use one to do my backups.

I know linux uses 3 partitions n d leftover partition i have should take care of that. both of my drives are SATA by d way.

I had absolutely no problems installing the latest Mandriva not long ago onto my 160Gb SATA HDD, it could just be that the version of Red Hat you have is old and doesn't support SATA HDD's, I know that whenever I re-install XP on to a SATA HDD (which is quite often) I have to install the SATA/RAID drivers from a floppy during the setup.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

hi every one.. i need to install red hat linux version 9 on my laptop.but i couldn't install it on my laptop.the reason for this i think my laptops hard drive is SATA. and my laptops configuration( HP )is intel core 2 duo ,2.2ghz,4Mb cache,2Gb RAM,160 GB hard disc.i have made seperate partition of 20 GB for linux use.but when i insert the red hat linux cd into the drive and start it runs for certain time and stops in the middle of installing.
    please any one help me solve this problem,its very urgent for me to install that software.

Thread Information