www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Speed

Speed

I believe this is in the correct forum, please forgive me if it isn't, I apologize.

When linking within your own site, you can use a shortened form of the lin such as "/page" instead of "site.com/page"

Now, my question is, does it somehow interfere with speed when you use the entire address of a link? I am wondering because I think on my own computer it finds the page slower, but perhaps it is just my own computer?

I'm wanting my website pages to load as quickly as can be of course, but there are times you are unable to put the shortened form of the page, and must use the full form. Such as a "higher level" page linking to a "lower level" page ("site.com/something/page" linking to a "site.com/page")

Considering that however you mark it up the browser would have to request the full URL anyway, I can't see how it would affect speed.
    However:
    Code:
    <a href="../page.htm">This will go up one level before going to page.htm</a>
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Thanks, I figured that it shouldn't affect the speed, but for some reason I was experiencing a slight speed difference only in the two.

The code you listed, reusing those link names I used, "site.com/something/page" and "site.com/page" . . .
    Using the code you had, would allow me to have a link on "site.com/something/page" to "site.com/page" without having to type the entire url? That might save me some trouble!

If you could, continue to help with that, how could I use that code, for the following scenario:
    Site.com/something/else/page
    linking to a page perhaps
    Site.com/something/page

(I hope I'm not confusing in trying to explain it all!)

Using relative addressing has ther advantage that the copy of your site on your own computer will be fully functional when you are not connected to the internet while working on changes.
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    Using relative addressing has ther advantage that the copy of your site on your own computer will be fully functional when you are not connected to the internet while working on changes.
    Definitely so!

I hope I'm not going off topic, now that I know using the full URL shouldn't slow things down . . . key word being shouldn't Lol

My question is, is there a way to use the shortened forms, as I was given the "../page" tip . . . That will put me one level up, what about two, or more, levels up? Is there any way to get that?

Thank you again for you help!

Up one level:
    Code:
    "../page.html"
    Up two levels:
    Code:
    "../../page.html"
    Up three levels, then down one level into another subdirectory:
    Code:
    "../../../subdir/page.html"
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks, much for your help!

I hope this isn't considered "double posting" or that I will get into trouble here, but I wanted to make sure to ask yet another question.

Is that "multi-level" relative linking supported by all browsers as regular linking is? I don't want to cause a problem with the links not working for really old browsers, or certain other browsers . . .

It works with everything. It's an adressing form used by most operating systems as well. "../" refers to the parent directory, so if I said "../file" the computer goes to the parent directory and looks for file. If I said "../subdir/file" it goes to the parent directory then looks into the subdir for the file.

Look into file systems a little bit to understand it more, as far as linking speed....it should be about equivalent.
    -Anthony

Thread Information