dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Scrollbar question

Scrollbar question

First off, I'd like to thank you for reading this question.

I'm using windows XP and aol 7.0 and I noticed that the default scrollbar uses images rather than colors. I was wondering if it would be possible to define what images you would like your site's scrollbar to use. If there is a way, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard because I've been looking around and trying since XP first came out and I cn't figure it out. Then again...I'm a real newb at this coding stuff. lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Scrollbar question

Originally posted by unwise

I'm using windows XP and aol 7.0 and I noticed that the default scrollbar uses images rather than colors.
    Which one has the scrollbar image? What is the image's name? Where did you get the information?

It's the default scrollbar in XP. I'm not quite sure what the imagaes names are but I do know that it uses bitmaps (or .BMP) for it. here is part of a screenshot I just took:
    http://wg584.t35.com/scroll.gif

Originally posted by unwise
    It's the default scrollbar in XP. I'm not quite sure what the imagaes names are but I do know that it uses bitmaps (or .BMP) for it.
    http://wg584.t35.com/scroll.gif
    I will check it out. In win 98 I have changed the start Logo to my own. It had a sys extention. but opens as a bmp. I would think if bmp is a name it would be for various parts of it indivually.
    And you might be right because is is costomizable

I am not exactly sure what you are referring to, but you can (with W98 and AOL, at least) EDIT many of the apparent default scroll and task-bar appearances by going thru the windows registry:

start--"RUN"--type in 'regedit' ---navigate to-- 'HKEY_USER'--open dir: ".DEFAULT" ...

and change whatever you want in the way of harmless edits like the RGB values for the scroll-bars...
    This is a great and easy way to customize your desk-top and all.
    (Disclaimer: be careful about some editings in the windows registry; changing the rgb color values is a safe registry change that should take effect with your next start-up and cause no problems.)

__JHG

Originally posted by apezVal
    I am not exactly sure what you are referring to, but you can (with W98 and AOL, at least) EDIT many of the apparent default scroll and task-bar appearances by going thru the windows registry:
    __JHG
    By unwise --
    No that is not what was talked about.
    I'm using windows XP and aol 7.0 and I noticed that the default scrollbar uses images rather than colors.
    simular to what the logo of win98 is, that has an extension of .SYS but it can be opened as a .BMP image and can be replaced with another image. It was hoped that the same thing can be done with the scrollbar in XP and AOL7.

Sorry, that was not the thing you needed. It sounds like something similar however to me except that an image or image map is relagated versus just an elementary 'all one-RGB' color. In the windows-XP registry environment there may be a way to apply images just as you can color only in windows-98. It is remarkable what the registry defines as such elements as "button-face" and once you do edit just the color (which is just usually the ordinary vb metalic grey)...then you can really discover what and how the windows architecture makes use of these elements on its own and all in relation to other ostensible 'reader' visual fields and what is alternatively another's proprietary form-or-field. As for how this may be manifest in XP or if images can be used I do not know except to say that if it is BMP encoded it is more into the 'shell' of the registry than are the other graphic formats.
    You still might try editing just the 'button-face' option in the user_key to make a noticeable color change... and see if or not this ends up defining any border color for the images you want to change, that may, at least give you something to go on. __ Jim G.

classic

in xp you can use what they call "classic" settings and you don't have to deal with the round edges and large buttons of the xp interface...it personally drives me nuts

once in "classic" settings i'm sure then you can edit it all like in win98/95/etc.

as for image scrollbars...i have no clue :-P

Thread Information