www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: where can I buy TLD ?

where can I buy TLD ?

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me where can I buy Top level domain such as .co.uk or .com ? I mean the new domain.

To clarify, I assume you are looking to register a second-level domain name, not buy a TLD. The former is simple, the latter extremely rare. (The only case I can remember was that of .tv.) You can register a domain name with many companies, some with web hosting or other features available depending on how much you are prepared to pay.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

I dont believe you can "BUY" a domain name - you just basically "rent" them out for a certain fee every year. Some places do allow you to register a domain name and prepay for like 99 years or something like that if I remember correctly. Cant remember where I seen it, but im sure you could find it if you look around.
    21,130 KSPH.... and that is on a bad day!

Well....

Let me apologize first. I am not a programmer, this is the only place I found anyone asking the same question that I am asking. So, what is the answer? You can't own a dot-whatever? What about sponsored tlds - Is that different ie .mobi

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGundry View Post
    The only case I can remember was that of .tv
    Tuvala's obtaining their country specific TLD of .tv was no different from the allocation of any other country specific TLD.

In the last year or so it has been possible to buy your own TLD from ICANN but the asking price ranges from hundreds of thousands of dollars upwards.
    Stephen

that is bad news

So, how can I protect my genius idea while I am collecting investors?

Quote Originally Posted by jaimeravae View Post
    So, how can I protect my genius idea while I am collecting investors?
    If you want a lower level domain within a specific TLD then find a domain registrar who leases such domains and pay for one or more year's lease on that domain for the handful of dollars (or equivalent) that they charge.

If you want your very own TLD then ask ICANN how many hundreds of thousands of dollars it will cost and then if you can afford it then but the rights to your own TLD (this option only became available recently and the cost of buying the rights to new TLD is likely to limit it to only the biggest companies).
    Stephen

If you want to register your own domain name:

http://123-reg.co.uk/

If you are actually wanting your own TLD, then... start saving.

For a domain name,

Personally I use directnic.com, or 1and1.com (along with hosting there). Certain ones like .be through godaddy.com one .it through some European registrar.

As for TLD, really want to buy\start .phy anyone want to donate to my cause? for a domain name: http://mull.an.a.phy/ (syllable action, mmmmm).
    Mullanaphy!
    http://www.mullanaphy.com/

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

Also, I freelance as well. Inquire within!

Thread Information