www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: google listing dropping

google listing dropping

Hello,

I have a problem. I had a google listing of 9 for my target keyword phrase, all of a sudden it is 624. what could hve caused this. I am thinking that my backlinks in google are not stable enough to hold that 9 listing. any comments or suggestios will be greatly appreciated.

You need to provide more info. Which site are you talking about? Which search engine are you watching? What are the keywords you are watching? Is it a new site?

If it's a new site, it was probably sandboxed by Google. Google frequently gives a new site a top ranking and then it drops into oblivion in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by TechEvangelist
    You need to provide more info. Which site are you talking about? Which search engine are you watching? What are the keywords you are watching? Is it a new site?

If it's a new site, it was probably sandboxed by Google. Google frequently gives a new site a top ranking and then it drops into oblivion in a week or two.

the site was new. i grabbed a ranking of 9 after 2 weeks of going live.

In that case, you need to learn more about the Google Sandbox. This is a phenomenon that started in March of 2004. Google refuses to let most new sites rank well for anywhere from 3 to 8 months. The more competitive the keyword phrases you are focused on, the longer the site tends to stay in the Sandbox.

You can read a collection of theories here: Google Sandbox Theories

You probably have not done anything wrong. The initial high ranking is part of this effect. No one seems to know why G teases new site owners with this. It does create an initial euphoria and then a lot of anxiety.

I would not be surprised if your site is doing very well in MSN and Yahoo.
    Last edited by TechEvangelist; 06-24-2005 at 10:57 AM.

TE,

you are correct. My site is 1 in MSN and 33 in yahoo. I have read an article about the Google sandbox and it validates what you say. I will continue to add relevant backlinks to the site and wait it out. I appreciate your response to this question. The article I read was a newsletter I recieve from SiteProNews with the feature being the Google Sandbox. Once again Thanks.

Thread Information