www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good HTML Editor?

What is a good HTML Editor?

I'm thinking about buying an HTML Editor program for making webpages, instead of using notepad as I have for the last few years.

What would some good programs be? I know of Dreamweaver and Microsoft Frontpage. Which of those two is better?

Thanks in advance.

Lightbulb Macromedia HomeSite

Macromedia HomeSite - It has built in FTP, code highlighting for most scripting languages, javascript, html, and some stuff that I've never heard of.

-Ryan
    http://www.veracitek.com

Macromedia was bought by Adobe. Both are a lot of money to spend for just an html editor iirc. Homesite is great. I have jedit but haven't figured out how good it is for html coding yet but it does appear to do highlighting but no error detection.

I use HTML-Kit. I won't claim it's the best, but it does the job for me and the price is right.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog
    I use HTML-Kit. I won't claim it's the best, but it does the job for me and the price is right.
    I'll second Mr. Dog's recommendation. It's the most useful free Windows HTML editor I've seen. In fact it beats several editors you'd have to pay money for.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Herer
    i second Araneae

stick with just a plain text editor if you know what you are doing... what reasoning is there for using an editor since they are notorious for adding extra tags? plus you will have to learn the gui to be as proficient as you could be just writing the code yourself
    it all seems backwards to learn the code then want an editor unless im missing something

Quote Originally Posted by qzn
    stick with just a plain text editor if you know what you are doing... what reasoning is there for using an editor since they are notorious for adding extra tags? plus you will have to learn the gui to be as proficient as you could be just writing the code yourself
    it all seems backwards to learn the code then want an editor unless im missing something
    HTML-Kit (and others like it) is a text editor. However, it includes many features and tools with it, many of which you can turn on or off depending on how you like to work. Just having the syntax highlighting colors is a big benefit.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

chami's html kit is what an html editor (or any flat file editor) should be
    with one exception. Snippets Which is why I still prefer evrsofts 1stpage
    the ability to write/store code and simply drag onto source code when I need it
    is a great timesaver.

HTML-Kit has snippets; just double-click instead of dragging.
    An excellent editor.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

If you want to go with a WYSIWYG editor than you should go with Dreamweaver. Yeah, there are other programs that are good but in the total they just can't stand up next to Dreamweaver (IMHO).

If you are looking for a good contextual text editor look at EditPlus, ZendStudio (for PHP), or Crimson Editor. EditPlus and ZendStudio are my editors of choice.
    TidyPub CMS - PM for Demo Login - Easier than you can believe
    Freelance Web Designer
    Web Design Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    chami's html kit is what an html editor (or any flat file editor) should be
    with one exception. Snippets Which is why I still prefer evrsofts 1stpage
    the ability to write/store code and simply drag onto source code when I need it
    is a great timesaver.
    I'm an ex-1stpage user and if it had some real support behind it I'd probably still be using it. HTMLkit's snippet support is at least equivalent and maybe better than 1stpage although the main use I make of it is a few lorem ipsum paragraphs.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

CSE Validator is an editor and validator all in one.
    Stephen

I use Dreamweaver MX 2004. I bought it for $99 from http://www.macromedia.com/ because I got the educational discount. It's great for web design.
    Jason Granger's Blog

I'm an inactive member...

Thread Information