www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: NOTE: Please don't call your thread "Need help"

Threaded View

NOTE: Please don't call your thread "Need help"

Here's a quick sample of some bad names for threads:

"Need help!", "Noob needs help!", "How do you do this?", "Driving me crazy!"...

Why are they bad names? Well, because they really don't tell anyone what the thread is about. Most threads are started by people who need help, so stating that you need help in the title is pretty pointless.

I strongly recommend giving your new thread a descriptive title for a few reasons...

Firstly, it will help you get a faster response to your question/problem. If you give your thread a descriptive title - one which actually tells those of us who hang around here lending a hand what your problem is - we are more likely to try to help you. If I see a thread title with a problem that I'm pretty sure I can help with, I'll go to that first. Simple. This goes for your initial post too. Try to include all the relevant detail, which usually means the code or a link. Personally, I prefer a link to the problem page as then I know I have the whole picture - I can see what everything - including the images - looks like, whether or not there's a DTD at the top of the page and so on. It also allows me to download the page if necessary and play with it. Sometimes, I think I know the answer to the problem, but I think it's best to test it out first - in different browsers - before posting an answer. Not including a link hinders you.

Secondly, using a descriptive, meaningful thread title will help others who browse and search the forums. Webdeveloper.com is a valuable database of experience for so many people. When people have a problem, the first thing they (should) do is search the forum for a thread which may solve it. If the user searches the forum but all (s)he can find is big lists of threads entitled things like 'need help', 'noob needs help' and 'how do I do this?' then (s)he could spend all day going through threads that have very little to do with his/her problem. If all of the threads actually say what they're about in the title, life will be a lot easier for everyone.

Thirdly, unhelpful titles bug the hell out of me.

So there you have it - thinking about the title of a new thread before you post your problem will help you, help others and make my life a tiny bit better.

CHEERS
    Last edited by BonRouge; 06-09-2005 at 03:20 AM.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information