www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux and/or Windows

Cool Linux and/or Windows

Ok..I'm was wondering if it was possible to have Linux and Windows on the same computer (simultaneously) without any interference. I would like to do my PHP/MySQL in Linux but I couldn't possibly imagine getting rid of Windows.

maffmommie nqztiv
    I'm new to the game.

Aw well...Another four years without a President.

I would say definitely Linux, but then I am a Linux user. Doubtless you'd get a similair response from a Windows user. I used to have Windows and Linux on the same machine, but I noticed several months had gone by without me using Windows and couldn't think of any real reason for me using it again. Windows was on the larger of my two HDD's and I figured there was no point wasting it on something I never use.

You can have both operating systems on the same hard drive but I'm pretty clueless with computers and have no idea how to do it properly. If you do want to use Linux, I'd highly recommend using Suse. It's nice n' idiot proof (which was perfect for me when I was starting out with it), and has a feature (called "YaST") which finds and installs things for you which can be a pain when you know what you're doing and a nightmare when you don't. Dave ("the 'tache") Harrison tried out the new version of Mandrake (another popular distribution of Linux) which has recently been renamed to Mandriva and it seems it doesn't have the YaST feature (which meant things were a bit of a hassle to install).

There's also some "short" guides I've written (initially intended for Bob but would be helpful to anyone) on getting started with Suse to get you set up with up-to-date versions of Apache, PHP, MySQL, and OpenSSL as fast as possible with the minimum of fuss.

To see if you like Lunix more than Windows get Knoppix it is a version of Lunix that runs off a CD or DVD

You can get most distributions of Linux (including Suse ) in a live evaluation disc format so you cabn check it out without installing (I think that's the idea anyway).

The good thing about the live disks is that on most of them if you like them you can install them with out getting more disks.
    Dual boot with Knoppix is risky SUSE is better. Knoppix ruined boot.ini on my friends computer.

I have dual booted several linux distros with windows in the past

Knoppix is not really dual booting... because when you use knoppix you are just booting fromt he cd... it creates a ram drive. There is nothing being written to the hard drives.

I have dual booted windows w/ suse, mandrake, and am about to start using ubuntu probably (jus to give it a try, my friend likes it). I have also setup systems to dual boot red had and fedora before (they might as well be the same thing). Yes linux and windows can run together without any problems. I suggest always using lilo or grub (linux boot loaders) rather than modifying your bood.ini... though you could modify your windows boot loader too... if you really want to do it, but if you mess it up be prepared to spend time w/ a recovery cd trying to fix it.

You can install an apache server with all the trimmings (php mysql etc) on a windows system several wamps are out there which make installation relatively painless.

My personal favorite is uniserver
    http://www.uniformserver.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    You can install an apache server with all the trimmings (php mysql etc) on a windows system
    Well not really no. If you use those pre made packages then you have to make do with not being able to configure it. Not being able to enable and disable things your work will or will not require or you know you will never need. You could configure them if you manually build them on your machine, but it can be difficult and parts of PHP MySQL and Apache simply cannot be used on Windows and they never run at full speed either. They can be handy for making simple, generic stuff, but you can forget about trying to emulate the target host environment to enable you to just develop and deploy instantly.

I'm sure the reverse would apply with .net on Linux too.

I beg to differ. you can manually reconfigure to suit your needs after install.
    PHP MySQL and Apache simply cannot be used on Windows
    I'm using them right now on xp pro and have used them on 98se (although yes it was a bit sluggish.

However There are several hosting companies that offer windows servers running MySql/php in an apache environment
    http://www.efextra.net/webhosting.htm

Want more?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Why on earth did you puposefully miss-quote me in such a blatantly obvious and stupid way? It was quite obvious from my post, including the section you miss-quoted me on which should have read:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Herer
    parts of PHP MySQL and Apache simply cannot be used on Windows
    that I was saying they do run on Windows. It just doesn't run as it was meant to on Windows.

Perhaps you could define parts
    Every php script I've ever run hosted on a linux server I've been able to run locally.
    as far as MySql manipulation goes maybe you could enlighten me as to the advantages of command line over Myphp Admin.

Hell I'm not gonna' go and find the differences and bits where Apache and friends under perform on Windows, I started using Linux so I didn't have to think about crap like that.

As for the phpMyAdmin and command line thing, well I guess that's a matter of personal taste. Personally I found phpMyAdmin to be slow, clumsy, hopeless at easily managing relational tables (those running with the InnoDB engine for example) and above all - pointless. That's just my opinion though. Like I care if anyone else uses phpMyAdmin. Go ahead and knock yerself out. I prefer not to use it but I can't imagine anyone would actually care whether I did or not.

Hell I'm not gonna' go and find the differences and bits where Apache and friends under perform on Windows, I started using Linux so I didn't have to think about crap like that.
    So what your saying is that you choose not to qualify your previous statement.
    And that the only way to see the full potential of an apache system is by installing a secondary os. As you note you choose not to use MyphpAdmin to handle MySql
    and yet in many hosting environments both Linux and Win MyphpAdmin is the defacto
    method of administrating MySql.

Have I miss represented this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Herer
    I'm sure the reverse would apply with .net on Linux too.
    Indeed.

So what your saying is that you choose not to qualify your previous statement.
    Correct.
    And that the only way to see the full potential of an apache system is by installing a secondary os.
    Not if your primary OS is Linux.
    As you note you choose not to use MyphpAdmin to handle MySql
    and yet in many hosting environments both Linux and Win MyphpAdmin is the defacto
    method of administrating MySql.
    Correct, but just because I don't want to use phpMyAdmin, doesn't mean I won't use it if it is the only method of interaction.

Have I miss represented this?
    Absolutely not.

Thread Information