www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mysterious dissappearing link text

Mysterious dissappearing link text

Greetings all,

I have a handful of simple anchor tags, for example:

<a href="url.html">Some Text</a>

But when I view the pages, the links don't show up. When I do "view source" from the browser, the links appear like this:

<a href="url.html"></a>

Note the link text is gone!

I have noticed this on a handful of links on a few different web pages. I cannot find any commonality between the pages that exhibit this problem.

The text is there in the original files. I can telnet into the server and verify that the link text is intact.

Figuring that I must be viewing some strange cached version of these pages, I purged the cache. Same result. I even try another browser (firefox and IE) - both give the same result. I re-uploaded the files to the server, and even changed the link text - still broke.

Even stranger - after a few panicked hours I discovered that this problem is unique to my machine (XP Pro SP2). The problem web pages display just fine from any other computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I imagine you have some ad blocking software that has picked up on your link text and doesn't like it so it's taking it out before it reaches your browser.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Thumbs up You da man!

Thank you tree-mon! Norton Ineternet Security Ad Blocking was the culprit. I can see no rhyme or reason why it decides to block these specific set of links. But I am able to configure it to ignore my webiste. Thanks again!

Thread Information