www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Stop copy on Right Click

Stop copy on Right Click

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work when I right click on an Image using Mozilla Firefox? Any corrections would be welcome.

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
    <!-- Begin
    function right (e) {
    var msg = "© Sorry, this image cannot be copied.";
    if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && e.which == 3) {
    alert(msg); // Delete this line to disable but not alert user
    return false;
    }
    else
    if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && event.button==2) {
    alert(msg); // Delete this line to disable but not alert user
    return false;
    }
    else
    if (navigator.appName == 'Mozilla Firefox' && event.button==2) {
    alert(msg);
    return false
    }
    return true;
    }
    document.onmousedown = right;
    // End -->
    </script>

Quote Originally Posted by chevin
    Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work when I right click on an Image using Mozilla Firefox? Any corrections would be welcome.
    Because it can't work on FF or any browser other than MSIE. And quite often it doesn't work in MSIE. The internet was designed to spread information and resources, not to keep them safe. If you don't want everybody and his dog to have a copy of your images then you have no business putting them on the internet.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

You would do well to read this article about hiding content.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

It doesn't work because ALL browsers copy the image to your visitor's computer BEFORE they display the page so they already have a copy before the page appears.
    Stephen

for images, use 1x1 divs styled to the right colors. That way no one will want to copy it directly
    - God

Quote Originally Posted by IncaWarrior
    for images, use 1x1 divs styled to the right colors. That way no one will want to copy it directly
    All images are copied to their computer before the page is displayed. No matter what you do with images on a web page the person viewing the page already has a copy of all of the images on their own computer.

THERE IS NO WAY TO PROTECT IMAGES THAT ARE LOADED TO THE WEB

The only way of applying any sort of protection AT ALL is to embed a watermark into the image itself.
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by IncaWarrior
    Ever heard of a "screen shot"?
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    try using a pdf instead of the internet to protect files. maybe flash... but all these can be reversed the same way they can be created
    fabioDRN.com

Thread Information