www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the most common screen size?

what is the most common screen size?

Hi
    Does anybody know what the most common monitor size is? I need this for setting web pages width. I guess the age of 800 px has passed.
    Last edited by amahmood; 06-15-2005 at 01:09 PM.
    G - M - B - E - P

It likely depends on your target for the question, the general populace or the tech savvy? If it's the general populace, I'd say 800x600 still as most people don't know how to change from the defaults anyway- especially if they have "older" computers.

Among the tech savvy, I'd probably say a higher resolution is more common, but limited by monitor screen size. I use 1027x768 at work because I have a 15 in FP mointor that won't go any higher . At home I use a higher res but I can't remember what it is, lol...

Use 800x600 because most people use that unbelibalbly!!
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Last edited by rhsunderground; 06-15-2005 at 07:05 PM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

1280x1024 !

W3schools.com has some statistics on their browser statistics page at http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp. (Monitor resolutions are near the bottom.)
    It has 800x600 at 28%. And I always make sure my websites fit in a 800px wide browser.

So, unless your designing for a Intranet, where you know that almost all of the monitors are 1024x768+; I would stick with 800px.

I use 1024x768, mainly because I don't want to slow my computer down to much, and my monitor has a max of 1280x1024. If I go that high, icons are too small and text becomes too hard to read. As for your webpage, check out this page that I am working on. It's width is a little less that 800...
    www.team847.com/NEW.html
    It is at 750, just so 800x600 users can see more of the pretty blue on the edges!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

8x6 is certainly the friendliest way to be.

quite small, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LiLcRaZyFuZzY
    quite small, isn't it?
    I think he meant hundreds.

I always make for 800*600 default with a method of changing it some how(php comes in handy) if they want
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by LiLcRaZyFuZzY
    quite small, isn't it?
    heh

What difference does the screen size make.

1. Not everyone views web pages in a full screen window.

2. Most people have toolbars etc that take up screen space that makes the area available to a maximum sized browser smaller than full screen.

3. The browser takes up some space for its own title bar, toolbars, scrollbars etc.

4. To have the page print properly on A4 paper (slightly narrower than letter) the page has to be able to display correctly at a narrower width than most people view it on the screen at anyway.
    Stephen

10x16 is what my N-gage takes
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    To have the page print properly on A4 paper (slightly narrower than letter) the page has to be able to display correctly at a narrower width than most people view it on the screen at anyway.
    Yeah, which is why when you design for 800x600 you make it 770px wide and not the full 800. Ideally your design will be fluid to 1024.

Have you never seen a page that required you to scroll down and to the right more than 200px. It's only a little worse than the pages that sit in some tiny little corner of your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by scragar
    I think he meant hundreds.
    hehe, i know...

Thread Information