www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem in MS Word.

Hybrid View

Unhappy I have a problem in MS Word.

Hello everyone,

My friend brought me her laptop showing me a problem in MS Word. I couldn't solve the problem. MS Word works perfectly but there is the "Show/Hide" mark or sign showing on her text and it doesn't go no matter what I do.

do you have the suggestion?

thanks
    Last edited by Akkadian; 06-17-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akkadian
    do you have the suggestion?
    See http://www.openoffice.org/ .
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Thanks bro, but I don't know what would that help me in?

regareds...

Open Office is, in my opinion, one hundred fold better than MS Office.

OH ok nice thanks, I didn't know that. I still have a problem though. My friend's laptop is very old one, and it doesn't even have flopy or CD drive. It doesn't connect to the internet yet. It is, basically, a garbage. . But she still wants to use it just for word, and I tried to repair, reistall , and remove it and reinstall MS word, but I still get the same problem. The "Show/Hide" sign doesn't disappear. Plus, there is a line frame around the text sheet forming a box around it.

I hope you can tell me if there is any solution.

Thanks a lot

Short of going through every settings dialouge and defaulting everything you see, I don't know.
    Does this laptop have any inputs apart from it's keyboard? There's usually some way of putting an external something drive on so as that you don't have to put up with MS Rubbish.
    Maybe you ought to advise her to get a new laptop.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

What version of Word is this computer running?
    What operating sys is it?
    How old is the computer?
    Who made this computer? (HP, Dell, HP, IBM, HP Uhmmmm... HP?)
    Does this problem seem like an annoying setting, or is it an "old computer glitch"?
    Answer these questions and I can try to help. They'll help everyone else as well!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Smile MS word problem

she is running, MS office 2000
    the Operating System is Win 98
    I am not sure how old the computer is, but it is old.
    It is Sony Toshiba.
    It is a an annoying setting, I think. she told me that it was fine before, and that she did something accidently and that "show/hide" sign appeared and never disappeared.

Thanks guys for the help

regards

By Show/Hide you mean that little "P" paragraph sign? You should be able to turn that off... It should be on the Standard toolbar, same one that open, new, save, print ETC are all on. I don't know how to turn it off if it won't comply. Try looking it up on Microsoft troubleshooting?
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Yes Sunny, the "P" sign. I tired to turn it off I couldn't. And Yes it is on the Standard toolbar, but it doesn't work though. It does't deselect it when I click the "show/hide" button. I will look in Microsoft troubleshooting and seee.

thanks a lot,

if anyone else has any idea how to solve the problem, i will be thankful.

Regards

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    ok well im using a newer version of office but im sure its pritty much the same...
    tools > options > Formating Marks > uncheck paragraph marks and your done
    fabioDRN.com

<quote>I have a problem with MS word</quote>
    Every body has a problem with MS word
    open office is free user friendly and better to use
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

I hate open office and refuse to use it. I find it not to be user friendly, cause constant problems with auto-formatting, even after I turned it off. Open Office's spreadsheet program does not work with excel spreadsheets so everyone you interact with needs to also have open office. Maybe I just was too new with it, but it turned me off to it real quick. I found it to feel more like an infection on my computer than anything else.

I like MS Word, and would even rather use Wordpad than open office. NOTEPAD ftw! Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by kin
    I hate open office and refuse to use it. I find it not to be user friendly, cause constant problems with auto-formatting, even after I turned it off. Open Office's spreadsheet program does not work with excel spreadsheets so everyone you interact with needs to also have open office. Maybe I just was too new with it, but it turned me off to it real quick. I found it to feel more like an infection on my computer than anything else.

I like MS Word, and would even rather use Wordpad than open office. NOTEPAD ftw! Woot!
    Not to get too far off topic, but I just don't have those problems with OpenOffice. User friendliness? I find it eerily simlar to MS Office. And good god, but MS just has awful UIs. I've used Spreadsheet to open (and save) many an excel file. Same goes for MS Word files. MS Word was god awful, though, hideously slow as well. I got Wordperfect to replace it, but now I use OpenOffice. Because of it's ability to interoperate with MS proprietary files, it's allowed me to use Linux to get a lot of work done.

The only problem you might face is downloading it, if you're not on a highspeed network. Although they also offer CD's, which wouldn't help the OP here.

As for the actual problem, check in formatting under tools, and check the view options. Try unchecking/checking everything one by one and then unchecking/checking it back if it doesn't fix the problem.

Thread Information