www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DivX player questions.......

Hybrid View

DivX player questions.......

Hello everybody! I need to download a few video clips, and they are in AVI format. The owner of the clips says they were meant to be played in the DivX player so a special "codec". (Better playback?)

I just wanted to ask the following things...

=What is the DivX player?

=What exactly does the player play/do?

=What is the codec thing all about?

=Will the player play the videos better than what I already have? (Quicktime, MS media player, Real)

=I don't have internet access on the computer that it would be running on... Is that a problem?

=What is good about the DivX player?

Just to let you all know, here is the site that I wish to download the videos from.... I already got the "RM" ones, but they had really bad quality.
    Do any of you remember the show, "Project GeeKeR"? Twas canceled in 1996
    http://www.projectgeeker.org/
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny G

=What is the DivX player?
    It plays divx.
    =What exactly does the player play/do?
    plays divx
    =What is the codec thing all about?
    allows you to play divx, lol. It is basically an instruction on how to read divx for other programs like winamp and media player.
    =Will the player play the videos better than what I already have? (Quicktime, MS media player, Real)
    No, it will play them the same. But I like the divx player myself... it has a nice feel.
    =I don't have internet access on the computer that it would be running on... Is that a problem?
    Only if you are trying to download the codec, player, or file.
    =What is good about the DivX player?
    It looks sexy.

RM files are played with real... which is synonimous with spyware, satan, and therefore geocities.

OK... With my experience with the Real player I am a little uneasy about putting this software on my computer. The Real player crashes my computer really easily cause' it's so darn slow! I trust the DivX player does not do that and can play everything else just fine. What about DVD's? Can it do screenshots? Windows makes it so hard to screenshots with the print screen button. It drives me insane! }:-C
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

Don't use real player that is about the worsed you can use.... even MS media player is better and that hard to do.
    If you get the DIVX codec it will plug into nearly evry windows compatable program
    Be warned as some DIVX players do carry lots of spyware
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

Exclamation Spyware?!?!?!?!

Sooooooooooooooo... You say they DivX players can get spyware? Is it a program that messes with all my computers settings? Is it a program that leaves an icon on my desktop that I can't get rid of?
    Is this player a spyware infected one?
    http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXPlay.exe
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

The actual divx player, the official one does not have spyware. But keep in mind... real is it's self spyware IMHO :P.

I use winamp myself, it can play it all.

So, the link I have above has spyware? Answer with a yes or no please... I'm confused!
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

So, the link I have above has spyware? Answer with a yes or no please... I'm confused!
    No. That is from a reputable source. That is the official player, I use it myself.

Dont think so....
    Run spybot ad-aware..etc after installing though.
    Googled it seems like most of the other DIVX programs on site are spyware but emailed a friend he got the spyware version ran spybot removed the spyware and the program still ran without the spyware so if you get spyware no nead to worry.
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

OK... I get the impression its a bad idea to install it. How about I just download the video? It uses the codec, so it should still play even without DivX?
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

No
    It is ok to download that file i checked just before u posted that .exe file is as safe as safe can be

That makes me feel a whole lot better. I am just sooooooooo overly cautious when it comes to putting things onto my computer. I only have one computer game!
    (Star Trek Starfleet command III)
    I'd really like to get Star Wars Jedi Academy.
    Furthermore, I don't have internet on my computer, so I have to use our family computer for internet and website work. I'll download the DivX player and run a virus/spyware scan on the .exe file! That should pick any baddies up, shouldn't it?
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

I'll download the DivX player and run a virus/spyware scan on the .exe file! That should pick any baddies up, shouldn't it?
    Yes and No the DivX player has no virus's attached but if it did it would find the virus unless the virus replicated or the anti-virus program was not updated

That makes me feel a whole lot better. I am just sooooooooo overly cautious when it comes to putting things onto my computer. I only have one computer game!
    (Star Trek Starfleet command III)
    I'd really like to get Star Wars Jedi Academy.
    Furthermore, I don't have internet on my computer, so I have to use our family computer for internet and website work. I'll download the DivX player and run a virus/spyware scan on the .exe file! That should find any baddies, shouldn't it?
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *

Generally just downloading an infected file means nothing. The code must be executed. However sometimes things can execute themselves (buffer overflow, so on and so fourth). But in the case of downloading an exe from a website you do not need to worry about it just running it's self unless there is some sort of activex exploit going on or something.

Thread Information