www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: So, I'm building this computer

Hybrid View

So, I'm building this computer

And I get it all nice and running, but I can't get anything out of the monitor. After looking around the Internet, I found that it could be the processor, the mobo, or the power supply. My instict tells me that it's either the mobo, or the power supply, and as of right now, the power supply has blow, so anybody think that that was the problem or is there something else that could be wrong?
    "If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished."
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

Actually it could be anything... it could be the processor, motherboard, power supply, ram, graphics card, and depending on the motherboard even a pci card. You are going to need to get an error code from the motherboard. Did you motherboard come with a bracket of leds or a little speaker to give you an error code? Usually you would plug those into a little socket (usually usb) so they can get the error code from the motherboard. Otherwise you are just going to have to substitute out parts with another system... even then this could just be two parts that are not compatible. For example I had a stick of geil gold dragon that just did not want to work with an msi motherboard I had... the numbers all matched but the two brands did not aggree on this motherboard. It was an almost completely random incompatibility. I looked at their data sheets and their tests showed that that model, the 512 stick w/ that freq and cas just didnt work with the motherboard though the others did. In this instance I had the same issue, the system just did not give me moniter output... my error code was memory failior.

Does it Post or Beep when it starts??
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

It does nothing right now, cause the power supply died. When I get my new one, I'll let you know if I have any luck, or not.
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

If you turned it on and then fried the power supply you could be looking at more issues... lots more. I have a friend who managed to have his south bridge catch on fire because he had a dual redundant psu that some dude gave him take a poop. This is why it is very important to stick with brand name power supplies... I like thermaltake myself.

Now that I got my new power supply, when I power it on without the memory and graphics card, I get no beeps. I've read that either the motherboard or the cpu has gone bad. Is there a way to tell which one it is?
    HTTPGuru

yes search 4 POST beeps charts
    By the way what is your computer modal
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

Thread Information