www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique my site please

Critique my site please

I just re-designed my jewelry website, and i would like all aspects of every page on the site reviewed, so that i can fix any problems there may be that im un-aware of.....any and all comments, and suggestions on any of it are appreciated. I would really appreciate an entire (complete on all aspects) review done if possible. Please help me in making this site somewhat more enjoyable, for any of my customers....and also any suggestions on how to get more traffic and customers to the site would be helpfull. thank you!!!

http://www.allkristinscreations.com

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    change the fone to a sans sherif sont such as arial, use darket text
    fabioDRN.com

Quote Originally Posted by dera
    better or no???

Your wasting a lot of bandwidth with those tables, your menu would involve so much less code with some inspiration from listmatic. (Not to mention functioning fully for the 10% without JS)

The flash looks pasted in and doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose, especially as you've already got a header image.

Counters and such like are useful for you, but not your visitors. Try to keep all that on your server and out of sight.

In order to get your site to validate, you'll need to learn CSS so as to quit using proprietary attributes such as bgcolor.

Your whole design looks a bit plain, a subtle background over the whole page wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by the tree; 06-28-2005 at 05:58 AM.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

yes much better. now i would use css to seperate the site in two to divs (dividers)

you put your content in a div for the left and content in another div the div element looks like this
    <div> html here </div> then to postion divs we use css you have to set a class eg <div class="classname"> </div> then in css set the positioning... install somthign like dreamweaver
    fabioDRN.com

Bah, you don't need Dreamweaver or any fancy software like that, if anything it can reduce the efficiency of your site. Either way, a CSS based layout is the way to go.
    Last edited by the tree; 06-28-2005 at 05:57 AM.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Hi weninger -
    I looked at your website and have a few comments -

Like thetree mentioned, the use of the flash header and the straight text header seem redundant. You need to choose between one or the other. Since your metadata contains the title and the description, you can probably make do with the Flash header, although many people won't have the Flash plug-in necessary to play it. That decision is up to you.

There are way too many links on the left. Everything below "Jewelry by Monica" seems superfluous to the aim of the site: business. You might save those links for a personal site, and have a link to it on your business site. Something like "About the designer" or something.

You might rethink the Q&A - this information seems pretty important, and should be more prominent on the site. I'd redesign your navigation to

Necklaces
    Bracelets
    Earrings
    Odd & Ends
    About the Designer
    About the Jewelry
    Payment Information

This is much more streamlined, and professional looking.

Also, get rid of the link to the "current" page that's on the current page, such as the link "Welcome" on the homepage. This link only reloads the page.

Good Luck!
    KDLA

Quote Originally Posted by dera
    Im working on all the other tips...thanx for all the advice everyone....but one thing keeps buggin me. i really dont like such a plain font style as the one i currently have. and i know that there are certain ones that are better for web pages....but where can i find a list of some more "fancier" fonts that will still work well???

The aim isn't to use fancier fonts, but ones that will be supported by any browser/platform.

Georgia (serif) and Verdana (sans serif) are the easiest to read on the screen and the most readily available.

If you do want to use fancier fonts, I suggest using them as page headings or subheadings, with the text placed within an image. That way, they are both decorative and the legible. Keep your content in straight text - search engines will be able to index your site better.

Good Luck!
    KDLA

does this look any better???? or am i just going backwards with progreess???

to get the fonts that you like you can read this article on ala http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/
    fabioDRN.com

oh geez... do you have a lot of jewelry or what? its a nice clean site, and the flash isn't to bad like some i've seen... i actually like it on the page... the page displays fine, but that layout can easily be achieved by css... as dera stated...

theres something funny looking about the blank space under the menu on a tall page... do you see it? or is it just me?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JDM71488
    oh geez... do you have a lot of jewelry or what? its a nice clean site, and the flash isn't to bad like some i've seen... i actually like it on the page... the page displays fine, but that layout can easily be achieved by css... as dera stated...

theres something funny looking about the blank space under the menu on a tall page... do you see it? or is it just me?
    how do i acheive this css?? im not familiar with it, and i would need some assistance with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by weninger
    how do i acheive this css?? im not familiar with it, and i would need some assistance with it.....
    you can learn how to manipulate css to do what you want by tutorials over the internet. the big struggle for some is multi-browser support, but there are hacks all over google... "box model hack" will help you out... if you can't/don't wanna figure it out then someone can do it for you...

it's all up to you whether or not you need assistance...

Hi weninger -
    Just looked at your site - it's SOOO much better. Great job interpreting all these comments and integrating them into your design!

KDLA

Thread Information